What exactly do you do in First Robotics?

I would like to join a robotics team next year, but am not good at math and don't know much about computers. Is there a way to prepare for it? And what all is there to do? Like, I know that you meet like twice a week for a few months, then go to a competition. Please don't be like "Why do it if you don't know what to do??" My mom suggested trying it, and I'd like to try it and learn from the experience. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Hi!

Definitely go for it!

I was once in your position. In my freshman year of high school I heard about it and thought it was sounded cool, but I wasn't sure if I was cut out for "that level of skill". My Mom kept encouraging me to go, so I went to the first meeting and was hooked! I went in with no prior knowledge or skill and the mentors taught me and the other new students everything. By the time I was a junior, I was appointed Team Captain! In FIRST the goal is to teach students skills to carry on through life, like how to work with others and accept each other’s ideas.

I am assuming that your team is an FRC team. If so, your team is given a 6 week build season to build a robot based off of the game that FIRST creates. During that time, teams design, build, test, and program their robots. Every year FIRST comes out with a new game (the challenge) Check out the game from the 2012 season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvewJn0qVw

Youtube thumbnail

&list=UUY2fbvRpYrgq_OrRjdFS-_w&index=5&feature=plcp

Don’t want to overwhelm you, but the visual always helps when trying to explain FIRST.

I definitely recommend this program to everyone, whether they are interested in engineering or not. All teams have a business aspect to it to. Each team needs to raise a lot of money to compete at the competitions. So there is definitely something for you to do.

Over all, FIRST is definitely a great experience and you will learn a lot from your team and make a lot of cool friends. Once you join, you won't want to leave, it is so much fun!! I am definitely coming back as a mentor to my old team :)

Check out this video too of my team's robot in competition.... it will give you an idea of what the end result is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjo4pnTA5lU

Youtube thumbnail

&list=UUY2fbvRpYrgq_OrRjdFS-_w&index=1&feature=plcp

I'd say the best way to prepare for the season, as a new member, is to do some youtube searches for "FIRST Robotics Competition 2012" and watch some of the matches.

You don't have to be good at science or math to be it robotics. You just have to be willing to learn. :)

Good Luck! Hope you join!!!

Source(s): 4 years on FRC team 1099 Team Captain