What is the Labor Party? (Norway specifically?)?

I am doing a research project on post-WW2 Norway, and one of the requirements is government. I came across something called a Labor Party, but I don't quite understand it. I'm not involved in politics nor do I know anything about them, so this is obviously confusing. All I really understood was a coalition government is involved.... Can someone give me a general idea or link to a website where I can read about this? (not wikipedia, please) It will help a lot, thank you!

Oh, and if anyone has any good websites where I can read about all the changes (political, social, cultural, economical, or any wars/rebellions) of post WW2 for Norway, or even Europe including Norway, that will be fantastic.

Thank you!

• RWgirl
    Favorite Answer

Sorry if I give you basic info you already know, but I figure it's better to give too much than too little.

Norway has many political parties, and sometimes they form coalitions when they stand for election. Also, you elect the party, not the person in Norway. You do have the option to cross individuals out on the election ballot, however. (I can go further into elections if you like, but that seems to be a side track).

Elections are every 4 years, the last parlimentary election was in 2009, and the next is in 2013. (if you want more info on current affairs, I can give that to you too).

Norway currently has a coalition government of Labour, Socalist Left, and Center headed by Labour (Arbeiderpartiet in Norwegian), and is also knows as the red-green administration. This current coalition is currently in its second term (was re elected in 2009). Jens Stoltenberg is the Prime MInister and he's in Labour (also the head of the party).

Parliment (Stortinget) consists of 169 represtentatives from 19 districts (fylker).

Currently, these are the parties represented, the number of representatives, and a super brief explanation of what they stand for:

Labour (Arbeiderpartiet) (64) <<<<----Social democrats

Progress (Fremskrittspartiet) (41) <<<------ Brown or populist. I consider them purely populist.

Right (Høyre) (30) <<<-----It's conservative-ish by Norwegian standards, but not conservative by most other country's standards

Socialist Left (Sosialistisk Venstreparti) (11) <<<---Define themselves as a socialist, envoronmental, peace, anti-racism party.

Christian (Kristelig Folkeparti) (10) <<<---Self explanatory. Requirements to stand for office is you must be Christian and agree with their fundamental views.

Center Party (Senterpartiet) (11) <<<---Environmentally oriented.

Left (Venstre) (2) <<--Oldest political party, worked for many democratic ideals and practices in Norway in the past. Nowadays is primarily concerned with schools, environment, small business, and welfare.

There are other parties, but these are the ones currently in parliment.

Here is info from the Noregian government site (in English) about the current government (with even more links):

http://www.regjeringen.no/en/the-government/the-go...

And the current government:

http://www.regjeringen.no/en/the-government/stolte...

Here's the parliment's website in English:

http://www.stortinget.no/en/In-English/

There's better people than me at history on here, so I'm going to leave that to them. Let me know if I've been confusing or if you need more info.

@Akkurat: To be fair, FrP isn't anti-immigration. Before this mass Ethoipian deportation, it could be argued they were only for "white" immigration (only throwing their weight behind the Marie Amelies of Norway), but since many FrPers have come out in favour of granting the kids (and by extension their parents) asylum, I no longer think that's a valid illustration of them (and confirms in my mind they are populist). Well, ever since they irrationally supported Marie Amelie, they've pretty much shown themselves to be populist in this area.

It's more their economic ideas that are [mostly] ill conceived, immigration politics is just the easy target.

I'll give you a bit more info, but first I want to clear up the info from RWgirl.

Labor (Arbeiderpartiet) (64)

Social democrats. Would be leftist Democrats in US. It started out as a party for laborers in 1887, hence the name. It has flirted with communist ideology, but has mainly been an opponent since prior to WWII. It has very strong links to the largest labor union in Norway (LO), and this has been a cause for criticism.

Progress (Fremskrittspartiet) (41)

Some call it brown (people on the left), others call dark blue. Would be mainstream GOP in US, except they are more populist and not as conservative. They dislike the immigration, high taxes, government bureaucracy and the high prices of food, alcohol, tobacco and petrol. They want to spend more money on infrastructure. They are not bothered by gays or abortion.

Right (Høyre) (30)

The second oldest party (est. 1884). They contain both conservative and liberal (in the European sense) ideas. It's the most fiscally conservative of the parties, but it's not very conservative on social issues. They have no problems with issues such as gay marriage and abortion. They want to reduce the bureaucracy and reduce taxes. They are quite focused on law and order, education, climate and a better cooperation between the public and private sectors. It's the most business friendly party.

Socialist Left (Sosialistisk Venstreparti) (11)

Define themselves as a socialist, environmental, peace, anti-racism party. They have quite a few communist in the party, and they would be to the left of most of the Democrats. The current leader described himself as a marxist a few years ago, but has since moderated his stance.

Christian Party (Kristelig Folkeparti) (10)

Self explanatory. Requirements to stand for office is you must be Christian and agree with their fundamental views. Would fit in with the Religious Right in the US on some issues, but want to spend more on social benefits, foreign aid, environment, public transport and education. Want stricter control on alcohol. Not a fan of armed conflicts.

Center Party (Senterpartiet) (11)

Environmentally oriented. They are mostly a party by the farmers, for the farmers. They oppose any structural reforms in farming, and always want more subsidies and higher toll barriers for food. They used to be a part of the conservative block, but are now on the center-left.

Left (Venstre) (2)

Oldest political party, worked for many democratic ideals and practices in Norway in the past. Nowadays is primarily concerned with schools, environment, small business, and welfare.

I have linked to some websites, but I think that the Wikipedia pages gives the best overview of the Norwegian history post WWII.

Important trends and events in Norway post WWII:

- Rebuilding the nation after WWII. Marshal plan help. Focus on infrastructure and industry.

- Increased equality. More women in the workforce.

- Increased secularization. Now most people in Norway don't believe in a personal god.

- Quite stable increase in prosperity from 1950 to 1970.

- Discovery of oil of the coast (1969). More wealth.

- Development and expansion of the Welfare State.

- Referendum on EU in 1972 and 1994. Both times 52-54% was against membership.

- Increased urbanization, but policies are enacted to reduce this trend. Farming subsidies.

- Increased immigration. Started with labor immigration in the 1970's. Cause of some social unrest (among opponents and among immigrants). The mass murderer Anders Breivik claim that he attacked the Labour Party youth camp due to their support of immigration and multiculturalism.

- Norway has been quite active in UN missions (and some for NATO). They have sent forces to Korea, Lebanon, Balkan, Africa and Afghanistan.

They are called "Høyre" or "Right"