Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

What would be the best way to learn Scottish Gaelic from Australia?

I live in a city where there are no Gaelic facilities, so the only options are long distance courses or internet/book work.

My current plan is to practice with an app on my iPod touch for this year, to build up a vocabulary (but no real grammar or phrases).

Next year and the year after I could do Sabhal Mor Ostaig distance courses to get fairly advanced, and maybe after that I could have a long holiday/exchangey thingy in the Hebrides where Gaelic is spoken.

Any better ideas/ faults with my plan?

Thankyou, and please don't say anything rude about the language.

Favorite Answer

The Sabhal Mòr distance learning course for beginners

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/Foghlam/Tagh-Cursa/Air-As...

is your best plan.

A phone app that just gives you vocab without grammar - with no structures that enable you to use it - sounds like a complete waste of time. The SMO course is for complete beginners - you'd be better off going for it straight away. You absolutely HAVE to hear the language being pronounced properly - if you spent a year " learning " vocab off your phone - just learning g words from their spelling, with no idea how to say them or use them - you would actually make things much harder for yourself in the long run.

In the meantime you could buy one of those Gaelic book+CDs courses - I think "Gaelic in Three Months" which was published by either Hugo or Dorling Kindersley would be useful to you. [ don't believe the "three months" bit] A dictionary with modern spelling, like the Teach Yourself one edited by Boyd Robertson and Iain Macdonald, [which gives English to Gaelic] is essential

If you do have the possibility of coming to Scotland in a year or two - then GO to Sabhal Mòr for one of their short summer courses - it's an entirely Gaelic-speaking environment, and you'd make more progress there, with other learners, than "out in the community" where people would speak English to you, to be polite!

add - you do know about this lot?

http://www.ozgaelic.org/

Source(s): native speaker

Don't learn anything because you want, learn because God commands . God is not in you, if you die then God will be your spirit, the spirit of the dead OR the spirit of the living that can't be conscious of life (a baby). I try to follow the Talmud to be considered as a good one, only slave is praised. Being criticised is not a dangerous sign, you should forget all criticism's meaning. Just retain the information. For exemple: people blame you for fighting your son, you should forget all the past but remember that you should learn to control your anger