Coolant fan never turns on?

I have a 1986 Civic with a 1.5 carbureted engine. I tested the relay (it worked), switched it for one I snagged from the junkyard, tested that one (it worked as well), and I jumped my fan's wiring harness with the use of mini jumper cables, it still turns on. The thing is, the car will warm up in about 5 minutes, like most cars do, and it will go from fast to normal idle. Then I can let the car idle for 20 minutes, drive it around at about 2500rpm for the next ten minutes, but my fan still doesn't turn on, and the car doesn't overhear AT ALL!

So my question: Is it possible that my 1.5L EW1 Honda engine doesn't emit enough heat for the car to overheat when running?

Engine warms up alright, and as I said, I even get the nice idle change.

Temp was a nice 75* out today, and like I said, I can let my car warm up, idle slows down (indicates that engine is warm), and then idle another 20 minutes and the fan never turns on.

• PAUL P
    Favorite Answer

Hi,

Ya my buick is like that. The first time I heard it I freaked out!

Source(s): old age

Maybe you should disconnect the fan, then add some jumper wires from the fan straight to the battery or to another 12V DC & a ground source. Make sure you have the wires to where the fan is blowing air how it should in the right direction. Also have the wires secured and routed away from moving parts or parts that get really hot. Dive the car around like that for a while then see if you see a change in your temperature gauge or in how your car performs.

Yes - when driving in cool weather it is normal for the fan not to turn on because the air movement through the radiator is more than enough. If you let it idle a while the fan should come on.

the fan will not come on just before boil point