? asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 9 years ago

How can athletes still play sports after a torn ACL?

A torn ACL is a HORRIBLE injury. The way knee surgery works looks REALLY horrible as well. How do athletes come back from it?

• Trish
    Favorite Answer

Well surgery is the only way to really come back from a torn ACL. The surgery isn't that bad it's a 6-12 month recovery depending on what type of activities you want to get back to along with how hard the person works in physical therapy. It took me 7 months to get back to soccer but I haven't had any issues since and it's been 7 years.

Source(s): student athletic trainer/tore my ACL

I tore my ACL playing softball when I was 16. I got state of the art treatment for 1963, they wrapped my leg in an ace bandage and put me on crutches for 3 months. 2 years ago I tore my meniscus and when I had an MRI done they discovered that I had no ACL left. First surgery was an anthroscopy and a meniscus repair. That did not stop the hyperextending of the knee and the meniscus tore again. My ortho decided to do an ACL transplant even though he said I was considered too old for this operation. 13 months ago I had this operation done and yes they did fix the meniscus again , after physical therapy I can happily say I walk with less pain than I have had in years. I finished therapy 3 weeks before the fellow who had surgery for ACL repair did (he was 25) we had our surgeries the same day. I now walk about 3 to 5 miles 3 or 4 days a week. I have started to run short distances I have not been able to run for many years. I get out and play basketball with my grandchildren and sometimes football. I have a job which requires me to be on my feet all day. Best advice to you would be to take the physical therapy seriously. Do the exercises they give you some for in the office and the ones for at home. Practice practice practice. Don't be the one passed up by the old person at your therapy sessions. Good luck and you will be playing sports again before you know it.

First, he has to heal his acl injury. It might be through surgery or any other treatment. ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) related Injuries are among the most common knee injuries. The most common ACL injury involves tearing it either partially or completely. The effects of these tears can range from very mild to debilitating. No matter the severity of the injury, two things are for certain, pain and swelling. If they persist, you are in for a slow recovery. As someone who wants to get back to normal life as soon as possible, you can't afford to have your recovery slowed down. Fortunately King Brand Healthcare Products® has a solution to get you back to normal life as soon as soon as possible. This solution is a combination of ColdCure® and BFST® treatments.