Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 9 years ago

Does co sleeping with baby really increase the bonding? ?

I'm co sleeping with my son. Dr sears believes it increases bonding. I've taken all the precautions to reduce SIDS. I like having my baby close to me but am not sure if it actually increases bonding.

• Momma
    Favorite Answer

Co-sleeping absolutely increases bonding. My husband and I co-sleep with our daughter and it is the best, I only wish we'd started sooner. Co-sleeping is very safe as long as you take the correct precautions (which it sounds like you did). One thing we did as our daughter got older was side car her crib. This involves taking the front rail off the crib (as you would to make it into a toddler bed) and putting the crib flush with your side of the bed. It gives baby his/her own space while still allowing you to co-sleep. I have a good link that talks about side carring the crib and shows pictures but I am on my phone at the moment so the next time I get on the computer I will leave the link for you. Many people are completely uneducated about co-sleeping and yes- before cribs and bassinets and all that other crap, mothers coslept with their babies *gasp*! And don't worry about cosleeping turning into your 8 year old being in your bed. A very large majority of cosleeping kids will gladly sleep in their own bed by 3. It's those kids who were pushed into their own bed when they aren't ready that end up in Moms bed too long. Cosleeping also doesn't ruin your marriage. Who ever said sex was just for the bedroom?

Source(s): Mom to Savanna Carolynn born June 13, 2011 <3

Co Sleeping is good for bonding and is helpful if you are breastfeeding, but it must be done properly so that it does not pose a threat to baby. There are Co sleeping beds for babies that attach to your bed, but provide a separate sleep space for baby. The Arms reach co sleeper is a great choice. This was the only way we could get our little one to go to sleep as she would not sleep in her crib until she was about 10 months old.

It can. I guess it depends on parents and baby. It is the most natural way to sleep though (how do people think we slept before cribs?) when done SAFELY, the benefits far outweigh any risk (which risks are just as bad with cribs)

I think it does but in the negative way. Ur sons going to bond with u whether u co sleep or not but I dont rexommend it I co slept with my son and once he started rolling he fell off the bed and when I tried to transfer him into his crib he would cry and scream all night it was terrible. So yes it increases bonding if u want ur baby attached at ur hip 24/7 lol when I try to dov laundry he chases me from, room to room screaming cause by the time he gets in the room im, in another one trying to clean. Hes now one we co slept till about 4 months when he rolled off the bed. Took about two, months to get him to sleep in his crib

it doesn't dont do it. your going to bond either way. i mean your his mom. if you do he will get use to it and you will end up like my sister she said at 1 shed get him in his crib. and then so at two. at three she planed out his whole room. he never slept in it not once. hes turning 5 now. the older they are the more attached they get to the idea that they sleep in your bed. put your baby in a bedside crib if you feel they need to be close or for breastfeeding. at 1 a normal crib. then so on and so forth. just dont do it.

and to the dummy who said how do you think we slept before cribs....um baby's always had bassinets or baskets or there own area. they were close, same room, but not same bed. its not safe. theres to many pillows and soft things on your that the baby can suffocate from.

• Lizzy

My neighbour co slept and her son is now 8 and still sleepin in their bed !

Her marriage is non existent and the child is so needy and clingy it's awful to watch

Baby can be in a moses basket next to your bed so they are close but not actually in your bed and then you can transfer them to a cot and their own room much easier

• A S D

NO DON'T DO IT! IT CREATES PROBLEMS..ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE MARRIED, THE CHILD WILL FEEL IN TITLED TO DO WHATEVER SHE/HE WANTS. IT DOESN'T CREATE BONDING, IT CREATES A NEEDY CHILD LIKE BEHAVIOUR FOR LONG TERM WATCH WHEN THE KID IS 10 OR 11 IT WILL BE SO HARD FOR THEM TO SLEEP ON THEIR OWN.

AGAIN..BONDING IS SPENDING TIME WITH ONE ANOTHER NOT HAVING SEX OR SLEEPING WITH YOUR KID. SOME DR. HAVE SAID THAT PAEDOPHILIA INCREASES BONDING TOO...NO IT DOESN'T!...AGAIN SLEEPING CAN HARM YOUR CHILD, IT CREATES A RETALIATION WHERE THE CHILD WILL NEVER GROW UP AND BE A MAN HE WILL BE STUCK IN A CHILD LIKE STATE!

yes do it people always have bad things to say but r totally wrong