Some 47 million uninsured?

How many of the 47 million uninsured is uninsured because they want to be?

• JBS
    Favorite Answer

I cannot answer that - but I think it is a priority that people deal with - many don't want to give up cable or a cell phone for health insurance. I was recently laid off and the cost of a private insurance policy is out of my budget - so I went without - hoping that nothing serious doesn't happen.

I certainly don't want the government handling medical insurance - nothing they do is ever as effective as privatized. However it would be nice if there was a stop gap policy that you could get just for major medical to cover you until you can get insurance.

Not sure of the actual numbers, but I do know a substantial percentage are young people who opt out of buying company offered insurance, to save the weekly employee co payment deduction. I understand their theory that they are far less likely to have to use it, since they are generally healthier than older people. But I have to go along with requiring they purchase it, either through private insurance offered through the company, or government sponsored insurance they would pay as a payroll deduction anyway., just like FICA taxes. Either way, they will have to pay more than they do now.

• J.T.