Refrigerate breast milk need answer ASAP thnx?

Im pumping to keep up my milk supply I have a 2 week old. I thought she was still hungry but my breasts were empty from just pumping so I gave her the bottle of fresh breast milk I just pumped. She drank like less then an ounce lol this has happened a few times and iv tossed out the milk not knowing of its okay to refrigerate and use again if she drank from it, even if it's fresh. Is it ok to do this? I don't want to toss out anymore if it's ok. Or is it not good to refrigerate if she just drank anbit

The hospital I delivered at the lactation department told me that if the baby has drank from the bottle that its only good for two hours at the most in the fridge because of bacteria and

germs. Next time just put one oumce in if u think shes still hungry

EDIT: to the answers above yes breast milk is good in fridge for 2-3 days after pumping but once the baby has drank out the bottle than its only good for a few hours plz dont give ur baby three day old milk thats been drank out of. Take a glass of milk and take a sip put it in the fridge and drink it that night i bet it wont taste right

• Ethel

Once a bottle has been used you have one more feeding with refrigeration in-between.

With formula it is one hour from initial feeding regardless of course. You don't need to pump to keep up supply, especially at 2 weeks - unless you are going back to work, and your body makes milk continuously anyway so you are never truly empty.

Its ok to refrigerate after she drinks some. It keeps for about 2 days in the fridge. I do it all the time and I have a 3 month old.

As long as it has not been out for more than four hours. I would refrigerate and use only one more time. Breast milk has natural antibodies and antibacterial properties. I've done it. I don't think it us actually recommended. The actual recommendation is to toss it out.

• Katie

If her mouth touched the nipple you can refrigerate it but must use it within 24 hours. If she hasn't drank from it you can keep in fridge for 5 days.

You really do NOT have to pump to "keep up supply". Just nurse when she is hungry. Giving bottles like that this early on really might have you in a bind if she develop nipple preference. It is best to wait at least 4 weeks, preferably 6 weeks before introducing a bottle. And don't listen to women who say "I did it & MY baby never got nipple confusion" - it's great for them that it worked out, but are they going to come to your house to help you sort it out if it doesn't work out for you? Probably not. Pumping when you do not need to (meaning baby can latch & there is no separation from baby) causes FAR more problems then anything. It won't help supply, your supply won't need help if you nurse on cue. Just relax, feed the baby when the baby is hungry & if you want to store milk or if you need to go to work, pump then. right now I am sure you are tired enough & busy enough that you don't need to add one more thing into your day, especially something that isn't going to help you succeed.

And yes - you ahve to feed her th ebottle on teh next feed, so if it were ME & my baby could latch well, I'd dump it & just feed her from teh breast on her next feed & put the pump down until alater date. Your milk supply right now is NOT established. It is trying to regulate & figure out what to do. The BEST way for it to do that is for it to get stimulation from your baby when your baby i shungry. That way your body can figur eout what your baby requires for feeding. When you do all this other stuff you are actually intering. You used a pump, swhich is LESS stimulating then a baby suckling to "keep supply up: and THEN turned around & fed baby a pumped bottle, which in fact denied your breasts of proper stimulation & THEN you are now planning to save the bottle & skip another feed (and presumably pump again) all in the name of "protecting" your supply. The best way to protect supply is ditch the pump & nurse your baby. I am not trying to be a jerk (and i hope it doesn't sound that way) - I am trying to spell it out so you can see how backward that way of operating actually is when it comes to biology. Your body needs to feed your baby when your baby needs to eat in order to regulate supply. This protect supply, avoids oversupply & alleviates engorgement as quickly as possible. Once supply is established, you can feed the baby without baby fussing (flow is regulated & baby knows what to expect), you stop having huge hard boobies, as your milk supply has finally leveled out & your leaking decrease greatly. The best way to get there is to just nurse. Pumping isn't "bad", it has it's place for sure. It can be a problem for some moms though if you don't understand what it will & won't do for you & when to avoid it.

Congrats on the baby & GL!

Source(s): A momma with 5+ yrs nursing experience who went back to work at 6 weeks postpartum with #1 & pumped for 20 months while at work. :)

yes breast milk is fine to keep in the fridge for two days. i used to express and keep the milk in the fridge when my baby was first born.

Its good for three days in the refrigerator. That's what my lactation consultat told me