Is Harley Davidson nightster a good beginner bike? and is it good for a small guy like me?

I am only 5'7 and 123 pounds, I am worried that the bike will be to heavy, or to hard to handle.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Dimo J
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most people will say no. 50% of new/retread riders start on a Harley Davidson. If you *gotta* have a Harley, it is not a bad motorcycle.

If you only want a Harley because you don't know better, there are better bikes for you. Compare the Nightster to my Savage: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/new_... -- $4,600 less MSRP, about 200 pounds lighter, quicker off the line when the signal light goes green.

• 9 years ago

Depends on how 'beginner' you are. Like never rode anything before, or rode some dirt bikes and borrowed a street bike once or twice.?

First thing first is to take a safety course. You will learn a lot there, trust me. I took a course after I had been riding for 3 years, and I learned a lot. I thought I knew how to ride pretty well, but I quickly learned otherwise. MSF is a good one. Some Harley dealerships offer the course, I don't know about the price. I live in ohio, it's only $25 for us to take it and the state pays the rest.

As far as the nightster being a good beginner bike, it is ok but not the best. I was 5'9" and about 140lbs when I got my first bike, which was a sportster very similar to the nightster. I dropped it in a parking lot once, but otherwise I did good on it. I would recommend that you get on craigslist and find an older bike, but something similar to the sportster. Buy it for a fair price, ride it for a year or two, then get your sportster. That's what I should have done, but didn't.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

It is not a females only bike, but it is the smallest frame they make, JUST your size. NOTE: The Sportster 1200 is the same SIZE engine as was once the largest motorcycle in the world, the Electra Glide 74. I don't like the single seat models, I'd get the twin seat, never can tell when some 37DD in a 34 c halter wants a ride. nudge,nudge, wink,wink.---Eric Idle on Monte Python

• 9 years ago

It's low enough for a short guy, it's underpowered enough for a beginner. But harleys are not very good motorcycles. It is a poser's bike and not much more. Welfare mothers will be impressed, other guys on real motorcycles will snicker at yet another costume shop biker.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It's a 1200cc bike, no of course it's not suitable, it's HUGE! Beginner's bike = 250cc or less; small, cheap, low-powered. Also, Harley Davidson's are notoriously bad to ride.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I would start on something smaller and less expensive for your first bike. If you must start on a harley i would start on a 883 and move up later.

• 9 years ago

If you don't mind paying for a name and then getting an antique.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.