Is Harley Davidson nightster a good beginner bike? and is it good for a small guy like me?

I am only 5'7 and 123 pounds, I am worried that the bike will be to heavy, or to hard to handle.

• Dimo J
    Favorite Answer

Most people will say no. 50% of new/retread riders start on a Harley Davidson. If you *gotta* have a Harley, it is not a bad motorcycle.

If you only want a Harley because you don't know better, there are better bikes for you. Compare the Nightster to my Savage: http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/new_... -- $4,600 less MSRP, about 200 pounds lighter, quicker off the line when the signal light goes green.

Depends on how 'beginner' you are. Like never rode anything before, or rode some dirt bikes and borrowed a street bike once or twice.?

First thing first is to take a safety course. You will learn a lot there, trust me. I took a course after I had been riding for 3 years, and I learned a lot. I thought I knew how to ride pretty well, but I quickly learned otherwise. MSF is a good one. Some Harley dealerships offer the course, I don't know about the price. I live in ohio, it's only $25 for us to take it and the state pays the rest.

As far as the nightster being a good beginner bike, it is ok but not the best. I was 5'9" and about 140lbs when I got my first bike, which was a sportster very similar to the nightster. I dropped it in a parking lot once, but otherwise I did good on it. I would recommend that you get on craigslist and find an older bike, but something similar to the sportster. Buy it for a fair price, ride it for a year or two, then get your sportster. That's what I should have done, but didn't.

It is not a females only bike, but it is the smallest frame they make, JUST your size. NOTE: The Sportster 1200 is the same SIZE engine as was once the largest motorcycle in the world, the Electra Glide 74. I don't like the single seat models, I'd get the twin seat, never can tell when some 37DD in a 34 c halter wants a ride. nudge,nudge, wink,wink.---Eric Idle on Monte Python

It's low enough for a short guy, it's underpowered enough for a beginner. But harleys are not very good motorcycles. It is a poser's bike and not much more. Welfare mothers will be impressed, other guys on real motorcycles will snicker at yet another costume shop biker.

It's a 1200cc bike, no of course it's not suitable, it's HUGE! Beginner's bike = 250cc or less; small, cheap, low-powered. Also, Harley Davidson's are notoriously bad to ride.

• Mark

I would start on something smaller and less expensive for your first bike. If you must start on a harley i would start on a 883 and move up later.

If you don't mind paying for a name and then getting an antique.