Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 9 years ago

Identify spider for me: Black, furry, thick; in house?

Hello, the other day I was in my room and I saw a black, furry, thick spider in my room. I live in Southern California. The spider was pretty big. From where I was standing, it looked like it was about a quarter-sized, and that's just the butt. It was for sure black, and thick. And it appeared to have fur. It also walked on my carpet floors pretty quickly and it crawled up my wall near my balcony door swiftly. It crawled really fast, I was amazed. But also scared. I have been sleeping in my sister's room ever since. Yesterday I ventured into the room and I took a hanger and looked for the spider but I could not see it. Now I am freaked out. What kind of spider do you think it is, and is it poisonous? What can I do to prevent spiders in my house? Thank you!

Favorite Answer

First, a spider like this will be harmless. nothing with hair or fur in north America is dangerous.

If you have anxieties with spiders, you may have exaggerated its size. Without seeing the spider, I can only suspect this may have been a wolf spider or maybe even a jump spider.

It is too early in the year for tarantulas, and these are far from a fast spider. they are also as harmless as they come.

There is little you can do to keep spiders out of a house, but anything you are going to find indoors is not going to hurt you at all.

Here are some common arachnids you may find in southern California,perhaps you can find something similar to your spider. ONLY the widow spiders are considered harmful.

http://mamba.bio.uci.edu/~pjbryant/biodiv/spiders/

Source(s): UC Irvine, entomology

Black Furry Spider

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hello, the other day I was in my room and I saw a black, furry, thick spider in my room. I live in Southern California. The spider was pretty big. From where I was standing, it looked like it was about a quarter-sized, and that's just the butt. It was for sure black, and thick. And it appeared...

Source(s): identify spider black furry thick house: https://biturl.im/7dChz

I live in So-Cal; I have heard of these spiders out in the desert; It is a tarantula, it is nothing to be afraid of. You can even buy them as pets at Petco or Pet-smart. They can bite if they feel threatened, but I must stress that IT WILL NOT KILL YOU! You can find these spiders anywhere in the desert, Such as cities like Palmdale, Cathedral City, and, very commonly, Joshua Tree National Park. It would seem to me that it might of just ran into your house during the off and on heat last week lol. Just call animal care and control and tell them there's a tarantula in your house and they will help get it out of your home.\

Oh P.S. you don't have to kill it! Its perfectly harmless! I would've already gave you a number if I had known what county you live in so you could call Animal Care and Control. Just dial 411 and ask for animal care and control.

Source(s): i know

Im not sure what kindof spider it could be since Ive never been to Cali, but it sounds a bit to small for any tarantula ive ever seen. There is a spray you can spray all around your house for pretty cheap called ortho, it works pretty well, i hope this helps :]

Sounds like a killer furspeed spider. I hear they can be deadly if provoked.

It sounds like you saw a Mexican not a spider.

This would be a Tarantula. You would rarely find this in your house so i will tell you to call an inspector. :)