BOOM
BOOM asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Do we need a $700 Billion annual military budget to protect America?

I believe in protecting our borders and fighting when we need to fight. I believe in fully supporting our troops and our veterans. But at $700 Billion our military budget is more than all the rest of the countries in the world combined.

COMBINED

Is that overkill? As long as we're cutting government and government waste, shouldn't we be trimming the military budget?

Favorite Answer

Just to help understand the spending, NOT Justifying it:

Of that $705 Billion;

$127 Billion is SPENT on Veterans---Ex-Military that NO Longer are involved in the ANNUAL Duty of Defense.

That only leaves $578 Billion spent annually to Defend us.

$46 Billion is SPENT on Foreign Aid---This SHOULD be in the Secretary of State/Foreign Relations Budget...but is HIDDEN as Defense, so we really can't count this.

That only leaves $532 Billion now being spent.

$28 Billion is SPENT on Atomic Energy STUFF and Radiation and CIA....all things that REALLY aren't Military and Again...hidden here, rather than INFLATE the Budgets that it belongs under.

Now we are only Spending $504 Billion on "The Military."

I'm a 16 year, USAF Vet and I agree, we SHOULD be able to CUT the Remaining $504 Billion in HALF and still Maintain a High Degree of Security.

Since I'm a Republican, and I can look at this THAT Honestly, Could you do the same on Social Spending?

Between Federal, State and Local Taxation and Spending, we SPEND $3.7 Trillion on Social Programs. Not Infrastructure or Regulations or Safety, just on SOCIAL Programs.

$755 Billion on Welfare

$876 Billion on Education

$1.1 Trillion on Healthcare

$978 Billion on Pensions

Using the SITE I Tagged below, could you find $1 Trillion that could have been CUT from the Programs above that would NOT cause people to Die in the Street? That's Barely 1/4 of our Spending.

Thanks for the question.

Ha-ha , Gee Wally thought he was helping you and all he did was to show that you are lying about the US outspending the rest of the countries combined.

You could reduce the military budget significantly if they would reduce the requirement and testing procedure that would make a $3 toilet seat cost $800 or an integrated circuit that sells to wholesalers for $60.00 per thousand for commercial version and $1,860 for the government version. Why all the testing when the blame thing will explode when the bomb is dropped? Do you really think that when a bomb drops it makes any difference if it misses by 2 inches?

You could probably save $200 billion in procurement costs alone if testing is relaxed

Considering all the countries that we defend all around the world, yes we need such a military budget. Can we make cuts in certain areas? YES, probably between 15 - 20% (waste and overlapping costs). Over a period of 2 or 3 decades we should reduce their dependence on our protection.

Do we need a welfare program that combines for $1 TRILLION? NO

• Mike

As a percentage of GDP our military budget is the lowest it has been since the 50's. It has been gutted by Obama. Also under Obama's watch the size of the government has grown enormously, along with the waste. You have been completely misinformed about the realities of the situation.

• Definitely. We almost outspend the rest of the world. We could easily cut the military budget in half.

• bob n

The War Hawks trump up WMD's all the time for the all mighty defense dollar. The answer is no. Most of it is unnecessary and wasteful.

no you don't cut military spending by 50%

Make me your next President and I promise to fix it. HeHe.