Why do i have green eyes but no one else does?

my dads eyes are dark brown, my moms eyes are ice blue. my sisters eyes are light light brown. my grandmas eyes are the same as my sisters. my great grandpa has blue eyes and so does my moms cousin. but im the only one who has this different shade of green that no one else ive ever seen has.

The appearance of blue, green, as well as hazel eyes results from the Rayleigh scattering of light in the stroma, a phenomenon similar to that which accounts for the blueness of the sky. Neither blue nor green pigments are ever present in the human iris or ocular fluid. Eye color is thus an instance of structural color and varies depending on the lighting conditions, especially for lighter-colored eyes.

Green is the least common eye color and as in the case of blue eyes, the color of green eyes does not result simply from the pigmentation of the iris. Rather, their appearance is caused by the combination of an amber or light brown pigmentation of the stroma, given by a low or moderate concentration of melanin, with the blue tone imparted by the Rayleigh scattering of the reflected light.

Green eyes probably result from the interaction of multiple variants within the OCA2 and other genes. They were present in south Siberia during the Bronze Age. They are most common in Northern and Central Europe. They can also be found in Southern Europe and parts of South Asia (Afghanistan, northern Pakistan and northwestern India), South America and North Africa. In Iceland, 89% of women and 87% of men have either blue or green eye color.

A study of Icelandic and Dutch adults found green eyes to be much more prevalent in women than in men.Among European Americans, green eyes are most common among those of recent Celtic and Germanic ancestry, about 16%.

there is nothing wrong with that at all. Green eyes are the rarest. Way back in you ancestry , green eyes were brought in, could have been a great great grandfather.... so on and so forth. again you have a rare eye color. so your kids may not inherit them, but someone down the line will have green eyes because you kept it going.

Source(s): School.

I also have a very pretty shade of light green but my mom has Hazel eyes and my dad had bluish greyish. I dont know either.

Source(s): My eyes ^_^

There's only two reasons for this;

1: WAY back in your family, somebody had green eyes but didnt inherit them through the genetics of their children (eg. your great grandmother) and only functioned in your genes.

2: You have your own colored eyes without inheritance. This *might be* rare, but it doesnt happen quite often! Dont worry about it either, my eyes are green too. ;D

Only 2% of the worlds population have green eyes, so consider yourself lucky!

Source(s): Did-u-kno facts on tumblr.com
  • Stu

Light colored eyes are a minority in the World population....MOST have BROWN. Consider yourself Lucky! Mine are grn/Blue. Did you WANT to have eyes just like 90% of the world? PEACE.

***Honorable mention to Avatar" Whoah yo". WOW!

I'm italian and my grandmother has green eyes and that witch didnt pass it on to anyone. She was always so selfish.

• 5204

Go under this site called Understanding Genetics and everything will be explained to you: www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=59 - Cached

someone must have had them a long time ago in your family at one point

You are adopted, don't make a big deal about it.