when shooting a nail gun!!?

when shooting a nail gun , does the nail stay straight in the air or does it make some kind of flipping motion when shooting at my target from a distance ?? ! also whats the chance of me actually landing a shot when shooting at a plywood from 15-20 ft?? will i actually nail the plywood or would it most likely rebound off the plywood ?? i think the nail will do a flipping motion when shooting at a target from a distance , he thinks the opposite and i dont think the nail gun will actually land/nail on a plywood from 15-20 ft. ! he also thinks the opposite ! so prove one of us wrong !

• august
    Favorite Answer

Well first off, pneumatic nailers have built-in safeties that prevent them from discharging a nail unless the gun is pressed against a hard surface. If someone is stupid enough to disable these safeties, they deserve any injury they cause to themselves. If someone is stupid enough to disable these safeties and then injure or kill an innocent bystander, they deserve the punishment meted out to them.

Nails are not bullets. They will not travel in the same manner as bullets. They do not spin like bullets, therefore they will never be as accurate as bullets. They will fire out of the nail gun in an extremely unpredictable manner. Some might remain relatively straight. Others might rotate on the short axis.

Basically, you're both wrong. Wrong for even considering this, because it's an extremely dangerous proposition. Please do not test your hypotheses. Leave it in the realm of theory.

reading other people's answers, I think we all have different experiences, with mine nails & staples fly straight but they're inconsistent.

my staple gun can shoot staples 10 feet or braids 15 feet. penetration beyond a few inches is just about zero. the trajectory is a rainbow.

my pneumatic nail gun can shoot nails a long way, but the nails go everywhere. they don't tumble- even at 20 feet they'll go thru a soda can or 1/4" into some wood- its the accuracy.

I have one of those powder actuated nail guns... it's really powerful (I bought it for fun) it uses .22 short blanks and shoots nails over 50 feet, with the extended barrel i manage some accuracy, the nails still fly straight, but groups are lousy. perhaps that's what muskets are like?

Source(s): my pneumatic nail gun is a cheap one, it has on of those must-contact-something safeties but I disabled it long ago. It shoots finishing-type nails. I think there's a difference in flight with standard nails that has a big head and finishing-type nails that have a head about the size of the shank. standard nails wit ha big head appears to tumble, while finishing nails don't.

Oh, it flips all over the place and can't penetrate a cardboard box from anything more than about 15 feet unless the nail gets lucky and lands point first.

edit: the safety can be easily disabled by pulling it back with the end of a claw hammer. Hey, if you want to do it, go ahead: you pretty much know its not the safest thing on earth: but last I checked a nail through the index finger won't usually kill you.

Source(s): done it.

Next thing you here will be nail gun target shooting tournaments to go along with the beer keg toss!!!

Did you check your air pressure? Is your compressor on? When a brad nailer fires, but doesn't shoot any brads, that is usually the problem.You probably need at least 80psi. Was the hose kinked? If not that, the driver might be broken.

I was shot at by a nail gun in high school woodshop. Never hit me but they can fly straight.

• Every nail gun I have used (quite a few) requires it to be pushed into something before it will shoot.

• matt

The nail will tumble.

Source(s): I do it at work.
  • Mr.357

Didn't you see "Die Hard" 1, 2, or 3?