lestld
lestld asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

how can tell, what my cat is saying when he meows?

Favorite Answer

You learn slowly, what sounds he makes at what times. Hello, let me out, get off my tail, I'm hungry, are fairly easy ones to learn. They do a very insistent, fast-repeated shouty kind of cry for emergencies, when they want you to "do something" about a problem (eg water bowl tipped over) or want you to follow them (for this they keep looking back at you, too).

I had a cat who said MOW for dry food and meeOW for wet food. We worked this out by what he kept saying (instead of starting to eat) when we gave him one or the other. He also liked to walk with me to the corner shop, and would call a distinct "wait for me" sound if I got too far ahead (his fault though, for checking out too many things on the way).

The more YOU talk to THEM when doing things with them, the more they get the idea that we humans accompany action with sounds, and the more likely they are to start doing this, too. Cats together very rarely meouw at all, as they read each other's body language instead.

You can't. Humans speak human, not cat.

Source(s): Common sense, which is apparently not so common