Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 9 years ago

Does braiding your hair every night make it grow longer & faster?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Eric
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No braids DO NOT make hair grow faster or longer. It is a stupid, stupid hair myth that has gone on way too long. Braiding your hair does not magically get your body to produce more of the proteins and nutients needed to grow hair. There is NO scientific or even common sense to back up this myth, so I'm not sure how it even still exists.

Maybe some people think that the constant pulling on your roots because of the braids will make the hair grow. Again, not true. If you have a small plant and you constantly pull upwards on it, does it grow faster? No, because the pulling doesn't make the plant roots somehow induce growth. You pull on the plant and it will be totally pulled out. Same with hair. Braiding the hair too often will cause a lot of your hairs to fall out. This is called traction alopecia.

Not only will braids NOT make your hair grow. It will also cause you to lose hairs if you leave it in braids too often. So there is no evidence, nor is there any logic behind the totally false idea that braiding causes hair growth.

Hope this helps.

So many myths about hair. I'm glad to put this one to rest.

Source(s): I'm a licensed Cosmetologist
  • 9 years ago

It will not make it grow faster. but it might make it grow longer. when your hair is not in a braid, you get more split ends. so it will help your hair stay healthy and you wont have to cut it as often

Just try not to do it EVERY night. it can cause your hair to actually mold! Hope this helped :)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hair loss affects both men and women. Here are some natural remedies that can help boost hair growth: https://bitly.im/aMpRT While genetics plays a role, there are other factors, including: hormonal imbalances, an underactive thyroid gland, nutrient deficiencies and insufficient scalp circulation.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Braids help hair grow, worked for me. So i'm considering yes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Since you won't be combing it daily, it will but you have to moisturizer but it will cause split ends do moisturizer ends and trim ends every six weeks or dust them which mean trim it very lightly

• Anonymous
    9 years ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.