Guitar Amp recommendation. Fender v.s. Marshall?

I'm looking for a guitar amp to play at home. I want a good brand that produces good sound quality as well as durability. I want to buy a good amp so i think I'm going to go with around 30W. But, Im debating between the Fender and Marshall. I was looking into the Marshall MG30CFX which is a 30W for $215, but the Fender Mustang II is 40W for $200. I heard that marshall has a better sound quality and that Fenders are only good for guitars. Which one do you think i should get in terms of durability and mainly the sound quality.

Favorite Answer

I just added a Marshall Class 5 amp to my gear, it costs about $399 but it sounds great & gets pretty loud for being only a 5 watt amp. I have a Fender amp too but I'd always go with Marshall if I had the choice between the 2

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/...

Hello there, Which is better Fender or Marshall? Both are great, classic sounding amps. They are related. Lots of guys used to use the Fender Bassman to play their guitars through. Mr. Marshall liked that sound so much he patterned his now famous amps off the Fender Bassman. But both legenardy tones, come from their vintage tube amps and not the modern solid state amps which also bear their names. You will not get a decent Marshall or Fender tube amp in your price range. I am not a fan of the MG series. They seem like cheap imitations of real Marshall amps. The Mustang is a good amp for a beginner. It is a digital modeling amp that has the sound of several classic amps programmed in. It has several built in effects. If you plan to play your amp only at home, why do you think you need 100 watts? That is nuts. 40 watts is too loud for home use. You won't be able to crank a 40 watt amp in your house (if you have neighbors close by). With a 100 watt amp you are going to be playing with the volume at 2. For home use the Mustang II, 40 watt 1x12 is more than loud enough. Later,

Higher wattage doesn't mean better sound, it just means the amp is more powerful (louder).

30W is more than enough power for ANY situation you'll find yourself in. If you're just looking for something to practice with at home, you'll be just fine with something in the 1-5W range (even less actually).

The Marshall MG series sucks. People buy them because they have this silly idea that Marshall is the best out there (which is outright retarded), and they figure that any Marshall they can afford is the way to go. That's stupid.

If you want a great amp in that price range, I recommend the Vox AC4. It's a killer little amp. It's pretty bare bones though, so if you're looking for something that has some built-in effects and stuff, check out the Vox Valvetronix series. They sound much better than the other modeling amps on the market.

Historically Marshall has been known for their distorted sounds and Fenders have been known for their clean sounds. The thing is both of these amps are entry level amps and not tube amps (Fender and Marshall are known for their tube amps, these are a totally different product for a totally different market). These would not be the ones people are using in the recording studio, they are more for bedroom or small gigs. The difference in Watts will not be that noticeable and will have similar volume levels.

Having said that best thing you can do is to read up on reviews for both amplifiers. If one or the other has any problems other players will have noticed and will comment about it in the reviews. Pick the one that has the least problems.

• Stan

I agree with an earlier answer...Marshalls are loud and slightly distorted, whereas Fenders are clean and pristine.

I'm a Fender man myself...one can always get a pedal if seeking a dirtier sound.

Tube amps are the way to go, but these are generally out of your price range.

You might want to research the Roland cube series of amps. I've heard these amps in live situations and they are great reliable little amps.

To each their own, but I'll never be a Marshall owner.

Source(s): 50 years guitar/part time pro

Marshall

Source(s): it's a fucking Marshall

Marshalls are famous for being loud. and all great guitarists use marshall amps. Im not sure what model but any one will be fine.