do i need a router to connect my hp wireless printer to my computer?

I went to the store and the one who sold me a hp photomart 5510 wireless printer told me I didn't need a router to connect it to my computer,( the printer already had the chip in it) but when I got home, as much as tried,(trying all the options) I couldn't get it to work. What I'm I doing wrong because 'help' keeps asking me about a router.

Favorite Answer

Do you have a wireless network? The wireless network device, e.g. router, is the central point in the wireless network.

Additional: a router is not the only device that creates a wireless network. You do need something to act as a wireless access point, but it can be something besides a router. That said, I do like routers because of the firewall capabilities that are built into the good ones. I use D-Link brand exclusively. Linksys is the most common brand, but I stopped using them when I got four defective ones in a row. One customer of mine wouldn't believe me, he is on his third one because they keep failing.

The wireless printer has to be connected to your network. How? Wirelessly, just like your laptop would connect wirelessly to your router. So you do need a wireless enabled router for this. If the guy at the store told you that a router was not needed, he is wrong. A router is needed and moreover it has to be a wireless router.