Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Question regarding slavery, gay marriage, & the bible?

This question is geared towards Christians who do not think gay marriage is okay.

In the Bible, it is made clear that slavery is okay, and that sexual relationships between members of the same sex are not.

Now, when I ask Christians about slavery, they usually tell me either:

1) Slavery was okay in that time/culture.

2) They ignore that part of the bible.

In regards to 2): if you ignore that part of the bible, why do you pay attention to the parts about who can have sex with who?

In regards to 1): if rules or guidelines that the bible provides change depending upon culture or time like slavery has, the guidelines regarding who can have sex with who, or who can marry who, should also be allowed to change. Right?

My question is, how do you still justify being anti-gay marriage by using the bible?

Update:

MILITVM XPISTI

I didn't say the bible said forbade same sex marriage.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I agree with you, I'm a christian and I find it aggravating that some Christians think Homosexuals are disgusting. But the bible was written a long time ago so many thins have changed.. eg. Women not being able to teach and obeying men. Many people have different views on anti-gay marriage in the bible. I even heard someone say that the bible was just translated into English wrong, it just meant that gay rape was wrong not gay marriage.

• fast
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

easily Jesus became a Jew and he became dedicated to the guidelines. He fulfilled the regulation; he did not throw it out. So your argument has no legs to stan on. Marriage is a union that describes the unique courting between a guy and a women in which little ones are born and raised in a good surroundings. there have been many research finished proving that little ones do extra effective in houses with both a mom and a father recent. the substantial requirement to receive a wedding ceremony license is a pair should be a guy and a women. That hassle-free requirement won't be able to be met in a gay courting. you do not supply drivers licenses to those who can not meet the criteria to receive one, marriage licenses paintings an analogous way. using is a privilege not a excellent; marriage is a privilege not a excellent. Marriage isn't all about love as such distinct want to believe and that's shown contained in the divorce costs that folk do not comprehend that marriage is more beneficial than love. the courting between a guy and a women and the courting between 2 adult adult males or 2 women are literally not an analogous because adult adult males and women are biologically diverse so why ought to a gay couple want to apply a time period that hasn't ever blanketed them and does not describe their courting?

• 9 years ago

Hey, I like you.

Okay, slavery is an iffy subject even today. In the United States, up until 1860, slavery was not only legal but accepted. There were only a few of us who felt that it was wrong, and yes that is even in the South where I am. I guess, we would've been the moderates. Brown and many others were abolitionists and had no problem using force and fear to get their way. Lincoln, himself, had no problem with slavery and he felt that the slaves were inferior to the white man. But, when the South decided to secede from the union, Lincoln decided it was time to play the card and claim that he was fighting for the freedom of the slaves. This is when slavery began to die in America.

Slavery in the rest of the world continues, even today. There is something called white slavery that you very rarely hear of the cause and the United States only black slavery matters. The Jews, God's chosen people, were slaves themselves in Egypt. The US politely turns a blind eye to all of this.

Biblically, slavery was allowed to an extent. To become a lifelong slave, the slave himself had to agree to become a lifelong slave. Other than that, it was only for a period of years. As of yet, I have not read anywhere in the United States that the biblical tradition of slavery was held. It was almost always for life. As you say, they picked and chose what they wanted to hear.

My personal view is that slavery is wrong. But, in the United States, being an employee is not really much better than being a paid slave who has to fight for his or her life outside of employment. At least under slavery and the slave owner had to provide food, clothing, and shelter to keep the slave healthy enough to work.

Actually, the Bible says nothing about gay marriage. It says that for two men to lay together like a man and a woman is an abomination. There is a simple reason for this. Sex is supposed to result in the birth of a child. Anything that interferes with this process is considered an abomination. Since two men and two women cannot conceive without the opposite sex, this is considered an abomination. The problem is, most Christians do the same thing that two gay men do, or two gay women do for that matter. Anal sex between either group is an abomination. Oral sex between either group is an abomination. Christians just want to quote the Bible to give them a reason to hate someone else.

As others have said before, G-d has created homosexuality as a natural form of birth control. This is not something that man does to himself, or even by choice, but something that is in us that we cannot change. If it is an abomination, then we each must answer for it when we go before Him. If we use birth control or other means, we still must go before Him but we will not have His reasoning behind us.

But in America, the big issue about gay marriage is the loss of money. Corporations, primarily insurance companies, snivel and whine about having to cover a male couple like they do a male and female couple because they would rather the two males pay their own way. Greed, pure and simple. They don't care about two women for the same reason you rarely hear them complain about watching two women be together. For them, it's win-win.

My only complaint about gay marriage is that I do not like the term. I would prefer something like a union that does not imply the Christian standard that despises the case so much and causes them so much trouble. Even as a Christian, I see Christians as a big pain in the butt.

• 9 years ago

" How do you still justify being anti-gay marriage by using the bible?"

Simply put, the Bible calls homosexuals perverts. As 1 Cor. 6:9, 10 (TEV) says: "Do not fool yourselves; people who are immoral or who worship idols or are adulterers or HOMOSEXUAL PERVERTS or who steal or are greedy or are drunkards or who slander others or are thieves—none of these will possess God's Kingdom." Ro. 1:32 adds that homosexuals "deserve death."

So, if single gays are considered by the Bible to be perverts, are married ones any less?

"In regards to 1): if rules or guidelines that the bible provides change depending upon culture or time like slavery has, the guidelines regarding who can have sex with who, or who can marry who, should also be allowed to change. Right?"

WRONG! In his laws to the nation of Israel, Jehovah God clearly condemned homosexuality as something detestable and even prescribed the death penalty for it: “You must not lie down with a male the same as you lie down with a woman. It is a detestable thing.” “Where a man lies down with a male the same as one lies down with a woman, both of them have done a detestable thing. They should be put to death without fail. Their own blood is upon them.” Lev. 18:22; 20:13

The Christian Greek Scriptures are just as explicit as to how detestable homosexuality is in the sight of Jehovah God: “That is why God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error." (Ro. 1:26, 27)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live! is a favourite from earlier version.

Which witch is which?

Source(s): Laughable.Insane.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.