Is being mentally ill a sin?

Ok. I'm a Christian and I have depression, anxiety, mild bipolar disorder, and ADHD. I've been wondering if it is a sin. So is having mental illnesses a sin or not?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Mental illness, depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and ADHD is hereditary - passed down through the genes from a parent or other relative. Having such illnesses inherited from someone else then, is NOT sinful.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I am also mentally ill and a Mormon. And mental illness does not fit into the definition of sin. A sin is a willful disregard to righteousness. We can't control our thoughts sometimes and do some pretty stupid and bad things. But when your depression or mania is in control, no it is not. Now, don't think I am saying you can do what ever you want and blame it on your illness. I, myself am on meds so Im okay 90% of the time which means the wrongs I do are sins and I have to repent.

Source(s): LDS Christian
  • 9 years ago

No. Evil and mental illness are two different things. It's evil that is sinful. However, the two can be connected because where evil is allowed to eat away at the good, illness thrives.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

This is why I hate all religion. No it is not a sin. Bad enough that you have symptoms to deal with now you should feel guilty about being ill?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

The fact that we sin is why we are considered mentally ill.

• Max
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Close. Believing in sin is a mental illness.

• 4 years ago

The act is a sin no remember who commits it. The question is regardless of if or no longer that guy or woman would be forgiven for that sin. A mentally handicapped guy or woman who commits any sin (devoid of understanding the adaptation between suited and incorrect) might little doubt be judged in any different case than a mentally functional guy or woman who knowingly commits a sin. yet so a ways as "mentally unwell", nicely which would be judged via God. many human beings declare to be "unwell" or "mentally unwell" however the warm button is did they understand the adaptation between suited and incorrect on the time? i do no longer think of maximum folk could desire to assert for particular one way or the different, yet God continually is conscious of. nevertheless, any real Christian could nicely be forgiven their sins see you later as they are repentent and accepts Jesus as their lord and savior. i'm beneficial that a mentally unwell guy or woman may be judged consistent with their reward (in fairness) basically like each person else. however the answer to the question is definite, suicide is a sin as certainly as homicide is a sin.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Being mentally ill is perfectly normal ...... it's part of the intellectual biology of our species. Everyone has the capacity to be mentally ill.

• 9 years ago

Don't worry, you're fine. A sin is something you do against God that you can help doing like lying or stealing. Things you can't help aren't sins.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Of course not. Sin is deliberate rebellion against God

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.