Katie asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

Grandma was born in UK, whats my herritage?

My grandmother was born in Warrington, Cheshire in the UK and her mother was born in somewhere in England I beleive. My mother was born in the US, as was I..so what my like.heritage-nationality? Im american obviously but am i like also..English.british..? I know I sound so stupid..help answer :P

• JOHN G
    Favorite Answer

You're not British, in order to qualify your parents must have been born in the UK, also children born in the UK to parents who are non citizens take the nationality of their parents so being born in the UK doesn't mean you are automatically British.

Stacy, nationality and ethnicity, or ethnic heritage, are two different concepts. Nationality and ethnicity may match, or they may differ. For example, if the grandmother you refer to is completely of English ancestry, her ancestry and nationality would match.

Nationality refers to citizenship. Since you were born in the United States, your nationality is American, but then so is the nationality of all either native-born or naturalized American citizens regardless of their ancestry. As for your ancestry or heritage, you will need to determine the ancestry of each of your parents or grandparents. This is ordinarily done by tracing the birth, death, and marriage dates of your ancestors back in time by looking at census records, birth certificates, and death certificates and marriage licenses, although your parents and/or grandparents may already know the countries their families came from, and you may simply need to verify this information.

BTW, the English are British in nationality, even though not all British are English since the Scots and Welsh are also British as well as many immigrants and their families who have come to the United Kingdom from all over the world. This is similar, but not exactly the sane as saying that someone is an American, but also a Texan or a Californian at the same time.

Someone can also be English, but not necessarily be of English ancestry. For example, Naomi Campbell is an English model of Jamaican and Chinese heritage while Susan Boyle is a Scottish singer of Irish ancestry. Both, however, are just as British as Kate Middleton, who is of predominately English ancestry.

To cite an example of how the dual concepts of nationality and ancestry work, I'm a native-born American of predominantly English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry, although I also have Welsh. Palatine German, French, and Walloon (Protestant Belgian) ancestors. Before I started tracing my family tree, I only knew about my English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry, but after 30 years of research I've found other ethnicities in my background as well.

You're American of (part) English ancestry. (You don't say where your other three grandparents came from.) No, you are very definitely *not* 'English' or 'British'.

Americans whose ancestors came from England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, West Africa or whatever are *not* English, Scottish, Irish, Italian, West African or whatever; the people who stayed home and still live in those countries are. And it either annoys or amuses the hell out of us when Americans with a single ancestor who emigrated three generations ago confidently lay claim to our nationality. Don't do it!

If you really want to know, you need information on more than one grandparent. You have 4 altogether, and they are the beginning of your cultural heritage. When you start researching your family history, you will want to look at all 4 grandparents, all 8 great grandparents and so on.

• W

You're English-American - or, if you prefer, an American of English heritage.