Will my scars from cutting go away?

Not looking for judgment. I know it was wrong and I don't do it anymore.

So basically I started cutting back in December when my parents kicked me out of the house on Christmas (15 years old at the time), I was homeless and really depressed.

Anyway, it's been 4 months now and they're not really noticeable unless you really look, but I'm insecure about it. Are they going to fade completely? If not, is there anything that will help them heal/disappear? If it matters, it's like 6-7 scars going from my wrist up my forearm.

• Favorite Answer

The scars won't go away, they'll just fade

• G

Sorry to hear you've been going through a rough time.

It may depend on how badly you cut yourself, your skin tone, and the way your body heals. You can do things to minimize, and they may completely go away over time.

Keep them covered when in the sun. If you want to wear short sleeves apply sunscreen to them before going out, and reapply it if you're going to be outside for more than a few minutes. There are different products that people swear by that fade scars, Bio Oil, aloe, Mederma, Clinique's Even Better. You can try one of those. Since the scars are fairly new they are going to be more noticeable. Even without doing anything they should fade a little in 6 months or so, but if you want to make sure they're minimal you'll have to apply sunscreen and product.

They won't go away but they will fade over time. You can cover them with makeup if they're really noticeable.

I hope that you reconcile with your family. Good luck. People out here care about you so don't give up.

It takes scars 1 yr to reach their final appearance. Lotions can help. Since they are not noticeable, then they'll likely continue to fade..

Sometimes it doesn't go away anymore, but with the help of the technology it can be (lazers)