How much do you think this draft class will improve Green Bay's defense?

1st round: Nick Perry DE (to be converted to OLB)

2nd round: Jerel Worthy DT (to be converted to DE) and Casey Hayward CB

4th round: Mike Daniels DT (to be converted to DE) and Jerron McMillian S

5th round: Terrell Manning OLB

Oh yeah, they also got these guys...

7th round: Andrew Datko OT and BJ Coleman QB

@Sports Pro:

They do need to improve their safeties, but they REALLY needed to improve their pass rush. I know you see the big name Clay Matthews on the roster, but he's all they got. This wasn't a great draft for safeties, after Barron the class really thins out. Besides Hayward might indirectly fix their need at safety. Capers will do whatever he needs to to put his best defenders out on the field. Sounds to me like we might see Woodson move to safety. It makes sense, Woodson is extremely versatile and has played safety multiple times before; it'll also prolong his career.

@Jake:

You can't truly be too big to play a position (maybe with the exception of running back because they have to squeeze through small spaces). It's usually that size is inversely proportional to speed so one might think that. However, Worthy is very quick and definitely has the speed the Packers need. Remember the Packers run a 3-4 and their ends play a five-technique, a very different skill set than what you would see from a DE in a 4-3.

• Sam
    Favorite Answer

Perry has a high bust probability imo. No one knows for sure until a few years pass though, their defense needs a ton of help.

Looks like they're really only trying to work on their front 7 there.

I don't know how much it will help. Teams pass on them a lot, so if Perry or Worthy are going to be good pass rushers, it will help. However, I don't think their pass rushing needed a huge improvement, so we'll have to see how it helps.

If I were them, I would've definitely been looking at some safeties.

Worthy is to big to be a DE. He isn't the best pass rusher which is why MSU took him out a lot in passing situations.

1st: Perry = Steal. Putting him next to Matthews will be scary.

2nd: Worthy = Good value. Heyward = Decent not great

4th: Idk either

5th: Good value

The first 2 picks will make an impact this year for the Packers but I still wouldn't consider their defense good.

• Link

Lol, well I'm sure they'll find a way to use at least ONE of those guys. Coming off one of the worst statistical season for any defense ever, the Packers drafted smart.

I don't really know but they can't hurt!someone to rush in when Mathews is being double covered is sorely needed.