CMF asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

5 gallon tank with 1 goldfish?

I have a new fish tank and I'm choosing what fish I'll buy. I like the goldfish. Is it ok a 5 gallon tank for one goldfish alone?

Ok, thanks for the info. So, what variety can I put in a 5 gallon tank?

Favorite Answer

Goldfish grow way too big for a 5gal. Plan on 20 to 50 gal for one, depending on the breed.

A betta is a better choice for a 5gal tank.

There are a few other options, but they are not very common, and usually need a higher level of care than a betaa can survive with.

You can look around and probably probably find an Orange betta? Their max size is less than 2", while you can expect a goldfish to reach 6 to 12" with good care. So although you buy them at about the same size, the betta will be almost fully grown, and the goldfish will only be a baby.

Ian

• Sibyl

No. A 5 gallon tank with even a single goldfish would be considered very overstocked. Consider that their minimum tank size is 20 gallons (for a single fancy goldfish), and a 5 gallon is a 4th of this size. Fancy goldfish grow 6-8 inches and produce a lot of waste- a 5 gallon simply cannot support one.

A 5 gallon with a gentle filter and an aquarium heater is great for a single betta. They come in many varieties including veiltail, crowntail, halfmoon, delta, and dragonscale.

A betta is the only fish I would recommend to a 5 gallon.

I don't think there is a gold fish that will stay small enough for a 5 gallon tank. Besides them out growing it goldfish are extremely dirty fish. They foul the water up pretty quickly. Might I sugest getting a Betta instead? they fit well in that size tank.

Source(s): Have a Betta, my cousin kept goldfish in a pond.
  • Ahs

They can grow huge and require 30 gallons at full size.

5 gallons would be a temporary tank.

A fish that can live in a 5 gallon is a betta fish. They are happiest with at least 5 gallons.

Source(s): I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank. She is very active and happy :)
  • Gary C

A pair of guppies could live in a 5-gallon tank.

Or a couple of pairs of Least Livebearers, Heterandria formosa.

Or one Betta.

Or one or two of one of the small species of killifish.

One goldfish needs at least a 30-gallon tank.

i would choose a telescope/bubble eye goldfish for about 2 months then upgrade two a 10 gallon

Source(s): i have a telescope eye in a 5 gal. and he lived three months now he has a mate in a 10 gal. and they lived 4 years
  • ?

No. Fancy goldfish need a minimum of 30gallons and a common/comet needs a minimum of 75gallons. They also need double filtration.