Greeks were not Asian step nomads,why do they have same food with Turks and Mongolians,such as "Greek Yogurt"?

I watched bizarre food Greek and bizarre food Mongolia ,noticed most meat recipes are about same.

Besides ,European people don't eat sheep heads ,tripe,bowels etc..usually these parts of animals are eaten in Asia .

.Are Greeks asian ?

There were no bizarre food Turkey ,because all Turkish food were in bizarre food Greece ,includind Döner ,lamb shaslik, kebabs ,tripe soup ..etc

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The correct answer: WAR, CONQUEST AND OCCUPATION.

If you take a look at the conquest map of the Persian Empire, Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan's Mongol Empire, you will be able to find at least a couple dishes that were extremely similar in those areas. This is did not happen by accident. The conquest maps of those empires overlapped in some areas. I will not go into details but the expansion of empires played a very significant role in introducing foods from one ethnic group to another. I'll only say: When armies came, they usually came with foods and cooking styles they are most familiar and most comfortable with. When armies leave, they usually bring back whatever they liked the best including foods and cooking styles. One of the most recent example of this is the Japanese invasion of Asia. Korea and Taiwan were both occupied by Japanese during the invasion. Japanese takuan is still popular and common in both Korea and Taiwan. Taiwan got their own version of sushi and Korea got gimbap. Japanese brough back items like ramen (NOT the instant noodle), gyoza, rayu, cha-han, charsiu, and nikuman from China.

Before modern transportations became available, local foods were rarely introduced into other countries. Back then, many countries were divided by natural barriers. Traveling between countries definitely wasn't an easy task. Of course there were brave travelers and traders who weren't stopped by those natural barriers and those travelers and traders did introduced some foods from one country to another. But their part weren't as significant as many thought they would be. If travelers and traders were effective at introducing different foods from other parts of the world, spice trade with India and silk trade with China should have also introduced many different ethnic foods to many different parts of the world; this did not happen. Introduction of new foods by travelers/traders/explorers remained insignificant until AFTER people learned to navigate across the seas.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

It is quite expected that countries close to each would have the same cultural and culinary habits. No-one copied anything from anyone. Especially since Turks didn't exist when Greeks were around (turks is not the same as Persians).

Furthermore there are only too many things you can do with milk (yogurt and cheese). Also sheep heads and intestines were also quite common in the British Isles because well they had a lot of sheep. That doesn't mean they were mongolians.

But it also depends on religion. E.g. Turks (supposedly ) aren't allowed to drink alcohol or eat porc because they are muslims, but Greeks are quite known for their wine and (later) ouzo and souvlaki (porc meat).

To say that Greeks copied the Turkish culture is as idiotic as it is ignorant. Even after 400 years of turkish possesion in Greece, and innumerable wars (with the Persians) Greece still has a very strong Greek identity. But food, like words and art, are living things and cannot be held by man-made borders.

• 8 years ago

I'm Turkish. Turks and Mongols are brothers. We Turks and Mongols are related. Turks came from Mongolia. We moved from Mongola to Central Asia now to what is known as Turkey. As we moved our culture moved with us. We carried our food and ate the same things again. Greece is a close country to Turkey. I think Greeks sort of copied our foods and the rest of our culture. If you listen to Turkish and Mongolian, they sound alike also Japanese and Korean also sound like Turkish and Mongolian. Plus, Greeks didn't create yogurt; Turks created yogurt not Greeks. My answer is when Turks were moving west from Mongolia, Greeks copied Turkic Culture.

Good Luck!

P.S.- I love Turkish food. YUMMY!!

• 8 years ago

Turkey and Greece are not that far from each other, only a few miles in several places. It is not unusual for different cultures to trade ideas, especially when it comes to food.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.