What does smoking cigarettes do for you?

I understand most addictions. Sex/porn= fuels orgasms. Alcohol and drugs= (obvious). Fast food= like sex, makes you feel really good. But I don't understand cigarettes. I've tried smoking a number of times throughout my life, but each time I do it I only do so I can better understand what the big deal is, but I can't figure it out. In fact it seems like something everyone should AVOID doing, even if it didn't have harmful effects on your body! What are the selling points of smoking?

Favorite Answer

Smoking is as much a psychological pleasure as it is a physiological satisfaction. It is not the taste that counts. It's that sense of satisfaction you get from a cigarette that you can't get from anything else. Smoking, for many of us, became a substitute for our early habit of following the whims of the moment; it becomes a legitimate excuse for interrupting work and snatching a moment of pleasure.

You sometimes get tired of working intensely and if you sit back for the length of a cigarette, you feel much fresher afterwards.

Frequently the burning down of a cigarette functions psychologically as a time indicator.

The mind can concentrate best when all outside stimuli have been excluded. Smoking literally provides a sort of "smoke screen" that helps to shut out distractions.

http://www.myaddiction.com/tobacco_smoking.html

The body wants that nicotine and you don't feel good unless you get it. The cigarette give that nicotine and you fell normal. You will not feel any better than normal they don't make you feel good.

Source(s): Friends who smoke behind school

It started out by giving people something to do with their hands in conversation, to look sheek or sufficated.

Source(s): BatMan@ALT/med.

If your stressed it takes your mind off whats stressing you and therefor it relaxes you