Help with acoustic guitar tuning !!!?

Ok so I've been keeping my guitar in drop c for a while and when I try to tune it back to standard there is a lot of tension and I feel as if the strings are about to break! My G string has already snapped while tuning before. Do I have to do something with the truss rod to tune it back to standard tuning ?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

drop c (That's what I play In to because you know Bullet For My Valentine) anyways when you tune to drop c and stay there for awhile the strings are then kinda used to being LOOSE < lol so when you tighten the strings what do you think will happen...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If you're tuning up from Drop C, it should feel like theres a lot more tension, because there is :D

Changing tunings often makes warps and stretches strings. When you tighten a string, it stretches some, but when you loosen it it will stays the length it was when tightened, so after a few tunings/detunings it will get weak and break. In my experience, the G string snaps most often from tuning.

Don't mess with the truss rod unless you loosened it for drop tuning

Source(s): I've played guitar for about ten years, and love to us alternate tunings like baritone and C-open
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Drop C would be CADGBE so re-tuning the E string to the correct pitch shouldn't make any noticeable difference. If you have any sense, you won't even think about touching the truss rod.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.