Help with acoustic guitar tuning !!!?

Ok so I've been keeping my guitar in drop c for a while and when I try to tune it back to standard there is a lot of tension and I feel as if the strings are about to break! My G string has already snapped while tuning before. Do I have to do something with the truss rod to tune it back to standard tuning ?

Favorite Answer

drop c (That's what I play In to because you know Bullet For My Valentine) anyways when you tune to drop c and stay there for awhile the strings are then kinda used to being LOOSE < lol so when you tighten the strings what do you think will happen...

If you're tuning up from Drop C, it should feel like theres a lot more tension, because there is :D

Changing tunings often makes warps and stretches strings. When you tighten a string, it stretches some, but when you loosen it it will stays the length it was when tightened, so after a few tunings/detunings it will get weak and break. In my experience, the G string snaps most often from tuning.

Don't mess with the truss rod unless you loosened it for drop tuning

Source(s): I've played guitar for about ten years, and love to us alternate tunings like baritone and C-open

Drop C would be CADGBE so re-tuning the E string to the correct pitch shouldn't make any noticeable difference. If you have any sense, you won't even think about touching the truss rod.