How can I get a job at a high class restaurant?

There is this street in Boston (Newbury st) which is filled with high class restaurants and bars. I am a college student looking to work in one over the summer.

How do I go about getting a job in one of these places? Walk in, ask for manager, and ask for job?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

It never hurts to try. Dress up very nicely, make a bunch of copies of your resume and shop yourself around. Make sure to make notes of the names of the people you've contacted. Around here, the high-end restaurants advertise mostly on craigslist instead of the newspaper. If you have restaurant experience or any kind of hospitality experience, make sure to highlight that and bring it up. If you don't have experience, take any job they may have including dishwasher, you could always work your way up if you can just get your foot in the door.