First day of work! Advice needed!?

So, I just got a job at Victoria's Secret and I'm so excited! Tomorrow I have training. I'm 18 and I'm a senior. I know of a few days that I absolutely can't work. April 30th, May 1st, May 2nd, and May 3rd I can't work due to mandatory dance rehearsals and a dance concert. Then May 31st I have prom and June 2nd I have graduation. After that, I'm good to work whenever. I'm just wondering if I should tell my manager these dates tomorrow or if it would look bad that I'm telling her that I can't work those days when I'm going in for training! Please help! I'm freaking out!

Favorite Answer

actually, it would've been best to talk about these "absences" at the time when you learned you'd been hired; maybe you could've arranged to accept employment after May 4.

but since you can't go back in-time, try the next & best thing...

with confidence, tell your manager ahead-of time (and ASAP!) about these "problem dates".

but FIRST:

-- you needn't mention that you've known about them from the start.

-- determine whether you can offer to come-in to work for at least part of some of these same dates.

-- also determine if/when you can offer to make-up the "away time" (on any of your upcoming/scheduled "off-days").

its always positive to at least offer to "make-up" for the time(s) you won't be present. as we both know, the store's now counting on you as a member of their team and has had no reason to think otherwise. of course, some employers (ie; stores; institutions) must coordinate employee schedules for all the right reasons; so keep the group-effort in mind.

ah! here's a hint that always helped me in work-life:

whenever i thought of a job as my "my own company" -- in a sense, my very part in it was always about "me & my own livelihood" -- i could more-clearly realize the "bigger picture" of what it the commitment really meant.

actually no matter how ya slice it:

wherever one works, she's her own employer.

:)

if your boss is unhappy about your plan for these "off-days", just do your best to maintain a gracious & understanding composure during the interaction. if for some reason, your boss changes his/her mind about keeping you on because of the issue -- be the first to forgive yourself, so that you can find maybe an even-better position in confidence.

life is here for the learning; and fortunately it's a life of many chances.

the best of luck to you! :)

Source(s): been there; done that. thanx for considering my personal opinion; 'hope i could help.

You should have told them about the April 30th, May 1st, May 2nd, and May 3rd dates before now, because they've already got you scheduled for work. It would look REALLY BAD if you dropped that bomb on them now, to the point where they may just say forget the job. You should have told them when they offered you the job.

As for May 31st and June 2nd, you should tell them sometime in your first week of work. They'll let you have those off.