:::N::: asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Likeliness of my puppy getting parvo?

I know this question is groing to be a great debate simply because i'm talking about pet stores. For those of you interested in my reason you can read the following paragraph, and for those of you that just want to politely answer my question, skip to the bottom, thanks :).

*my reason*: I have been looking to own a pet dog for some time now. I've been everywhere, done everything, read so many things, and done alot of research. I WAS THINKING OF ADOPTING A DOG FROM A SHELTER, at first. I understand about puppy mills, backyard breeders, and the poor dogs that are abandoned, and I wanted to give one of those dogs a home. But I'm really looking for a puppy, it's just my decision, I want to raise my dog and it's easier to train when they're little. For a long while I checked several adoption places, local and far, every single day, twice or even three times a day, and I had no luck in finding a maltese puppy. I only found 1 year or older, and they were in shelters far from my location. LOCALLY there are no maltese, I have gone to the only two shelters in my area and no luck. I even signed up to recieve email notifications, and no luck. Then I began to think about REPUTABLE dog breeders. I did extensive search making sure I find a GOOD breeder and not a backyard breeder. It was dissapointing to find there are NO reputable breeders anywhere near my area (the closest is about 4.5 hours away), and the starting average price I found for a male puppy is $1000. I found WONDERFUL breeders with lower prices, but they are in other states. Understand that in MY location, is awful for finding a maltese puppy, i have no idea why. So then I go back to my only option left, a pet store. Which is also, the only pet store in my area. They are small, and keep everything organized and clean, the pets seem playful, with good temperment, and are in a clean environment. It's not the best environment obviously. Understand that this is the only place near me I can find one, and they offer a lifetime health guarantee. No need to try to make me feel bad for not choosing a shelter pet. And it is sad seeing the puppies at the pet store with no owner, just as sad as in the pet shelter, so atleast I'm giving that puppy a loving home..

**MY QUESTION*": I'm thinking of purchasing a puppy from this pet store in my area. It looks clean, and like they take care of the puppies. They offer a health guarantee and other stuff, but I want to know how likely it would be for my puppy for have parvo? The one I am considering is a 9.5 week old Maltese puppy. Also, a week ago I went to that pet store and held two different puppies, then came home, can I carry the parvo home? and how long can it live in my home? in the house we have another dog, he is 2 years old, and he seems to be fine, very hyper, so since he doesn't have any signs of parvo, does that mean I didn't bring it from the pet store?. The dog we have a the house right now is my sister's, and she bought him from that same pet store when he was a puppy, he is 2 years old now and very healthy. Does that make it more likely that I will get a healthy dog? If i buy the puppy, and take him to the vet a week later, would he/she be able to determine if he has parvo if I haven't noticed any significant signs? For instance, is there a certain test or blood work to know if parvo is present?

Thank you for your understanding and kind responses ! :) (I hope.)

Cat: I already know about puppy mills :\. It doesn't answer my QUESTION.

Shawn: Thank you for your information on the main topic of my question :). I will definetly take my puppy (from wherever I purchase it) to the vet on the same day now.

leggsmi1: I realize about the large vet bills in regards to health issues, but wouldn't the risk be the SAME in a pet shelter? In a pet shelter I won't always know about the parents or where they came from, they could already carry any kind of genetic disease and won't show up untill it is older, and it will cost me a large vet bill. Some of these dogs in the shelter even come from puppy mills already. The pet store ones aren't any better, it's just the only thing I can find right now. My goal is to get him BEFORE the end of May, because I have been waiting long enough already. And I want to have the summer time to potty train my puppy and spend bonding time with him, because after that I start my last semester of coll

• Shawn
    Favorite Answer

At nine weeks, the puppy should've already been vaccinated for parvo once. We vaccinate at 6, 9, 12, 16 and 21 weeks of age.

There is a parvo test. A swab is inserted into the rectum. The material is mixed with a special solution and dropped onto a snap test. It takes 8 minutes to show positive or negative. Your vet can do that right in the office.

The way we disinfect for parvo is to use a product called Parvisol. You can also use a bleach solution. When we handle a parvo puppy, we gown up, glove up, and use items just for parvo cases. We do not handle any puppies for the rest of that day.

A puppy with parvo will have diarrhea - and the odor is just awful. It may vomit, and will be quite limp and lethargic. Many don't make it. Those that do are hospitalized (in general) on iv fluids and antibiotics. We check for worms, too, and often find one or more types, such as hooks, rounds. That is treated at the same time.

I have forgotten how long Parvo can live in the enviornment, but it's a long time. Not years, but certainly weeks to months.

If you buy the puppy, take him to the vet on the same day. I wouldn't wait a week.

Check www.veterinarypartner.com for info on parvo that you can trust.

It may help for you to understand a little bit about how the whole vaccination thing works. As I'm sure you know, when puppies are born they receive antibodies from their mother against diseases such as parvo. At some point during their puppyhood, they loose that immunity. That's where vaccines come in. You start rounds of parvo vaccinations at six weeks because there is no way of knowing when the immunity from mom disappears.

If this puppy has not had any vaccines, the probability of the mothers antibodies weakening is around 40%. Puppies who are vaccinated and still have their mothers antibodies will not be able to respond to the vaccine. This may sound confusing, but it essentially means at 9 weeks of age 40% of puppies no longer have protection against parvo. The longer you wait to get vaccines, the more likely he will be susceptible, and because pet stores are a high risk environment, the odds are 50/50 whether he will catch parvo or not.

If you plan to buy it from the pet store, consider asking the pet store owner where they got the puppy from, if its had any kind of vaccinations, and whether or not they've got a health guarantee. Better yet, buy a newspaper and look in the "For sale" ads for a private breeder. The risk of parvo is much lower in a disease free environment. :)

Let me add a little more to the chaos.

If you get a dog from the pet store and it develops parvo you will have a large vet bill.

If you are not in a rush and can wait a short while I can help you get a pup from a rescue with little or no cost to transport.

You do not say where you reside. If you tell me where you are I can see what I can find.

• Cat

Usually pet stores all sell puppies from puppy mills. Bad idea in so many ways. Look up puppy mills and you'll not want a poor puppy from these horrible inhumane puppy breeding farms.

Find a private breeder.