E
E asked in SportsFootball (American) · 9 years ago

Why did Denver select Wolfe over Worthy?

They took Derek Wolfe, who is rated 47.5/100 on NFL.com (according to their description, anything under 50 means he would most likely not be drafted or be drafted in a very late round and would be a practice squad player or 3rd string. )

over Jerel Worthy, who was rated 84.5, meaning he would go in the 1st or 2nd round and be an immediate starter.

Why did they do this? I'm a Broncos fan and I just don't understand that at all. Jerel Worthy seemed like so much better of a DT.

Oh, okay. I haven't look at the stats or productivity of either, I just was hearing the good things about Worthy.

In that case, I'm excited to have Wolfe!

Favorite Answer

he was more productive

• Darren

I think you ask a great question, considering that some scouts had Wolfe going as late as the 5th round and Worthy going in the 1st (see Pro Football Weekly Draft 2012.)

I also question why they did not take Janoris Jenkins in the second round. He had off field issues, but was considered the best coverage CB in the draft and the Broncos could really use a good CB. In college he effectively shut down AJ Greene and Julio Jones, the two best young recievers in the NFL.

If you want to look at stats and productivity, look at the 2010 Sugar Bowl. Compare Tebow's stats (traded away by the Broncos front office) to Wolfes (drafted 1st by the front office.) Tebow passed for over 400 yards and 3 TD's and rushed for over 50 yards and a TD.

Wolfe started the game and had 0 sacks and 0 tackles.

Sure, but they don't draft their players based on the NFL.com grade. Wolfe was better statistically and had better results at the combine.