Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 9 years ago

Can't stay up late anymore, is it age or an underlying disorder?

I don't drink coffee, redbull, or anything caffeinated for that matter. I ALWAYS get at least 8 hours, otherwise i'm cranky. I used to be able to stay up until the wee-hours if i wanted (wasn't an everyday thing and i never used anything).

That said, lately (past month), for the life of me, i can NOT stay up past 9pm. I'm fully rested before that. But (even when i'm not paying attention to the time), like clockwork, my eyes get heavy, my body drops in energy levels, and all I want to do is lay down (physically and mentally exhausted) and sleep.

26 years old. What is going on?? I'm struggling to stay awake as i type this. I'll pick a best answer in the morning. Good night.

Favorite Answer

normally a rapid change like that (a month or so or less) would be indicative of a thyroid change and or a drop in testosterone. There was nothing in your question about any recent weight gains and or diet habits both of which could (and normally do) precipitate these changes. Even a slight weight gain can lead to light sleep apnea which could interfere with your normal sleep patterns which could affect your hormone levels which could affect your thyroid level....etc...etc....none of this is certain and without a proper check-up to specifically check your thyroid level it would be impossible to say with certainty. You could also google and do some research on hypothyroidism and basal body temperature-there is a test called the Broda Barnes self test which could help you determine without a check-up if you have a potential irregularity going on....good luck with everything

• Trudy

I get tired - but not sleepy also. I just plain don't want to go to sleep, either. I'd much rather sleep in the daytime. I have a very active mind that won't shut down - perhaps this is your problem. I sleep when I take Lunesta, but the problem is - I don't want to become dependent on it. Consequently, I stay awake all night at least 5 out of seven nights. Maybe we're just nocturnal - you think?

I have the similar problem except I can't stay up past 9:30 and I'm only 19.. normal decent diet and yet I can't be like everyone else my age and stay up past 9:30 it affects me and my relationships. Could I have low testosterone ? What was your answer to the problem you had?

• Noah

What you are describing reminds me of several people I knew a while ago. I met this girl. she was a little bit older than you. When we used to go out , she would say to me..." can we go,now?" I am not feeling well, I feel sleepy. I felt so frustrated because it was so early. anyway I complied.

She went to see a doctor, after some blood test. she was found that certain substances in the blood were too low...... (I can give precise details but I prefer to be vague) all the best.

You know, man? Love the sleep. Some people wants to sleep but doesn't have any time! Your eyes wants to sleep, give it a chance. x) My eyes wanna sleep but I don't. But, I sleep anyways. Feels good.

Your need for sleep has changed, thus your body making demands on you

Wow. What a problem you have.

....

I mean, honestly - there is no problem. You live longer like that.

If you want to stay up, go to a bar and do illegal things. I don't know what to tell you.

My first thought is possibly diabetes.

you really shouldnt be complaining... usually the older you get the harder it is to sleep and such. my dad has the worst sleep deprivation, i feel so bad for him, consider yourself lucky