Will a 240 volt heater work with my 125/250v receptacle?

I'm in the process of buying a garage heater, I have a 125/250v 50amp receptacle that looks like this http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=4797 . Would I be able to just get a plug that will fit this receptacle and attach it to a 240v heater?

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can. That receptacle looks like one for an electric dryer. It's rated at 50 amps which is way more than you need for a heater but it will work though. Just make sure you correctly wire the black/red and ground wires to the plug. If you're not sure, you can always look at the receptacle itself and see which wires go to which so you'll know to wire the plug accordingly. I can explain it but I would just ask the guy in the electrical dept at Home Depot or whichever hardware store you get the plug from.

Hope this help you!

If your receptacle allows a 250volt plug then yes.

• Truth

if in fact the voltage is 250 volts on that receptacle . then yes you can...