Is It Wrong to Want Other People To Know I'm Gay?

Ok... I'm 15, and I've been keeping the secret that I'm gay for two years, and I finally want to tell people. Is it wrong to want to let other people know I'm gay? I mean, I understand if someone asks me, but it's weird to just bring that up in a conversation. And I don't see any straight people walking up to other people saying "Hey, I'm straight."

But I want people to know who I really am. Especially since I feel like I've been hiding for two years, with people thinking I'm straight, and me always saying "Yeah, she's hot" to agree with people when I've never really thought so.

So, is it weird to want other people to know I'm gay? Or should I just keep it a secret except from people who ask?

Favorite Answer

If you really want people to know, you can make the decision to start letting some people very close to you know. Then, eventually other people will know by you just bringing it up in conversation when the time comes and you will feel more comfortable discussing it.

Many people will judge you. Many people will accept you. Either way, you are still an awesome individual. It doesn't matter what others think. But it would be nice to discuss with others how you feel.

No, it's not weird at all. When you have had to keep who you are a secret, it is natural to want people to know. That's how I felt before I came out. And no, it's fine to tell people. It doesn't have to be "Hi I'm Sam, I'm gay." but if it comes up in conversation it's A-OK to mention your orientation. No, straight people don't have to say they are straight because it is viewed as the norm and everyone is assumed to be straight. You don't have to keep it a secret, in fact it feels much better once you just tell people. It's who you are and why shouldn't people know? They should believe you if you flat out tell them and if they don't, it doesn't really matter. You could always point out that you were covering because you didn't want anybody to know your sexuality. So good luck!

No way! I'm happy for you that you're so ready to let everyone know the real you! I say start small: with your close friends, and family, and then gradually widen your circle. It's people like you that are keeping the gay pride thing still fashionable. There are too many guys I know that are saying that it's just setting back our cause to be out, loud, and proud, but I think the "straight acting" thing is a little ridiculous and just a little bit self-hating.

of course not, on the contrary, it is too right, I thought the same thing as you do, so some months ago I decided to talk to people all about me, I think that, if I know who are the people around me, similarly they also have the right to know who I am, and I really hate to get talking on what I definitely do not like, then, right now I speak to everybody what I enjoy: men, of course not just about it. Now anyone knows who I am, nobody killed me, I'm so happy, and some of those people I liked have gone to talk to me (fabulous..), some people have not liked, of couse, but they already become accustomed. kisses boy

• ?

Well, if you're going to be out then yeah, stop lying. But why tell everyone you're gay? It's not like you can go down the halls of your school telling everyone your gay. Maybe you say you are gay on your Facebook, that would entirely different. You'd definitely be safer the less people who know. There is at least one person, at your school, at least one, who hates you more than poison for being gay. Enough to kill you. I'm serious, statistically, there has to be at least on person in your school who wants to see you killed, tortured to death for being gay. It sucks I know, but there is a lot of people out there, and I mean a lot, who are trying to make gay illegal. Gay sex was illegal in half the U.S. until 2003 - seriously, it was criminal offense. And there are a lot of people today who are trying to petition to get it illegal again. And then there is religion. Look, in the Bible, it says being gay is wrong, in fact, it says all gays go to hell. Seriously. There is a story in Bible called Sodom and Gomorrah, it's suppose to be a city where everyone was suppose to be wicked, it says they were all greedy, and when angels were visiting the residents wanted to gang rape them. So God destroyed the two cities. Now, most people get that that means that gay sex was the sin of Sodom (Sodomy means anal sex), even though it was greed and what not, but most people get that homosexuality was the sin of Sodom. It wasn't- but that is what most people get. That is why most religious people hate gays. And many of them are going to get offended by you being gay. They will. They are. Even though its your life (and your soul, even though it's all a bunch of crap), they get offended. There is a lot of people out there who think being gay is a choice, and thus they think you choose to be hated. You could get so much hatred. Bullying would be so terrible. If you go to a school where gays are kept in peace, then tell whoever your heart desires, but check with them first. You're 15 - check with an older student who's gay (a gay guy, lesbians tend to have it easier, boys are just cruel), and make sure he's happy with being out at your school. If you're in a country like Sweden or whatever, then good for you. But if you're in the states- be very careful who you tell. There was one gay guy in my high school class who was as flamboyant as they come, he had a close network of friends, mostly girls, and he was happy- but he got a shove in the locker every once in awhile. So be careful who finds out. To many people, gays are just obsessed with sex and know no love, crap I know, but you telling them your sexuality would be like telling them you're a fetishist. Be very careful. Gays are truly the most hated minority there is. And we are going to be hated for a long time.

it's not wrong to want people to know, just make sure your ready and be ready for their reaction