Val asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

which horse for me???

im 14 and have been riding for about 3 1/2 years, i only ride english, i do jumping. i know horses can be alot of money so about how much money would it be to keep a horse per year?

please no mean/rude comments!

thanks :)

what breed would be best for me?

what breed would be best for me?

Favorite Answer

that depends. Do you have a place to keep it? Will you be boarding it?

Some of the costs involved:

Board (if required)

Hay (factor 20lb per day per horse as a bare minimum. Some require more)

Supplements if you plan to give them. They are optional

Worming - minimum of four times per year.

Talk to a vet about local recommended shots and find out what they cost.

Farrier at least every 6 to 8 weeks.

Slush fund for vet emergencies.

Tack

Blankets if required

Grooming supplies

Buckets, lead ropes, halters etc.

Off the top of my head this list should be a good place to start.

As to how much... you'll have to check your local prices.

For the breed... partly it depends on what you want to do. Mostly, talk to people who are doing what you want to do (if that's compete) and find out what horses are best for that discipline. If it's just light riding for fun, go try out a few and buy one you bond with and feel comfortable riding. Go try it out a few times before you buy it. Ask for references, if from a breeding farm, of satisfied clients.

Well it all depends on if you board or not. This is what I would pay if I boarded:

$475 a month

$500 a year for vet

$400 a year for farrier

$200 for fun stuff I don't need, but want:)

$400 for supplies

$600 for tack

$3000 in emergency funds

I think that is it.

So, it is pretty expensive:)

We can't tell what breed is best for you just knowing your age and how long you have been riding! Tell us about your personality, temperment, what horses you have ridden, and just what you like in a horse

hey! i recommend a quarter horse, because most have great temperament a they can succeed in any discipline. As for the cost... it really depends on where you live. I live in Concord, NC and it costs me under $250 a month and thats hay and grain included. (sometimes a little more if theres a high vet bill) But i know other stables that are by me that charge $600 a month. So it depends on the stable too.

I recommend quarter horses all the time, they are amazing and can be outstanding jumpers! Horses are unpredictable, so you can't put an exact estimate. You have worming, vet, dental, farrier, board, tack, supplies, feed/stable supplies depending on where you keep your horse (usually they supply it though), so you have a lot to worry about. The exact number varies depending on the person but remember that horses are unpredictable and a lot can happen that can cost you a lot of money. God bless!

Look at wow horses it show a cost calculator and as for breeds a prefer thoroughbreds

it is round 5-6,000 a year roughly for everything...average around 400-500 a month