i received a child endangerment ticket and a speeding ticket at same time its my first offense what will happe?

the officer says he clocked me at 96 miles per hour which i know he didn't he gave me the child endangerment ticket for not having my child in a booster seat he was however in his seatbelt i've never had anything like this happen before i'm worried they will take my child when i go to court and that i will end up in jail whats the possibilities of this happening im scared stupid

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You will probably be put in an adult diversion program. You will have community service, a parenting class or two, and a fine to pay. You may lose your driving privileges for six months.

• Trudy
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Yes, most certainly. As a deputy sheriff, I have issued two tickets for speeding on the same road to the same driver before he left my field of view. I cited the driver for 44 in a 35, then he got mad and sped off, reaching 49, so I pulled him over a mile up the road and cited him for that. He drove away sarcastically slow after that.

• 9 years ago

Seat belts do not atequately protect children; state laws on child safety seats provide very minimal levels of protection. Car crashes are the leading cause of both disability and death for children under 12 years of age in the United States! Statistics show that 95% of child safety seats are used incorrectly! I would highly recommend that you see a child passenger safety technician (CPST). You can find one in your area at http://www.seatcheck.org/ They will teach you how to use a booster seat and see if the booster is doing its job.

Seat belts were designed for the average adult sized man. They were not designed for children. The job of a booster seat is to 'boost' the child up so that the adult seat belt fits on the child's body.

The lap portion of the seat belt needs to be on the child's hips and on the shoulder belt on the child's collar bone to protect the child in a crash. An ill-fitting seat belt is extremely dangerous. Many parents believe that the shoulder portion of the seat belt is a cause for concern; however in reality, the shoulder portion of the seat belt is not the dangerous part of the seat belt; as long as it rests on the child's collar bone, the child will be protected in a crash. The problem is that children become uncomfortable when he shoulder portion of the seat belt is rubbing against their neck, which causes them to place the shoulder belt behind their back or under their arm, both of which are extremely dangerous (as it increases head excursion).

If the lap portion the seat belt is on a child's stomach, the seat belt will cause severe internal stomach bleeding and may cause irreversible damage to the child's inner organs. It needs to be on the child's hips. Childrens whose knees don't bend naturally at the edge of the vehicle seat, tend to slouch which causes the lap portion of the seat belt to ride up on their stomach. Even if a child sits all the way back and sits up straight, the adult seat belt may not fit on their small body. If it rests on their stomach, they need to continue using a booster seat in the car.

I know some states require kids to be in boosters until they are either 4'9 tall or 8 years old. Kids need to be using boosters regardless of age. Seat belts begin fitting people who are 4'9" tall, however kids may need to be taller to fit seat belts in certain seat belt configurations. (The only difference b/w an adult and a child is that an adult understands they shouldn't slouch and they shouldn't put the shoulder portion of the seat belt behind their back or under their arm. Also, adults bones are much denser than a childs which makes the adult body more capable of taking crash forces. A short adult is fine not to use a booster seat).

The only accurate way to determine if your child can use a booster safely in the car is by following this easy test; EVERYTHING on the list below must apply, your child needs to continue using a booster seat in the car. This test is also called the 5 step test.

-Be tall enough to sit without slouching,

-Keep his/her back and buttocks against the vehicle seat back,

-Keep his/her knees completely bent over the front edge of the vehicle seat,

-Be able to stay comfortably seated this way, AND

-The vehicle seat belt must be positioned correctly across the child's hips and shoulder/middle of the chest.

Also, you need to make sure your child's booster seat is doing its job, which is correctly belt fit. I cannot emphasize more that it is highly recommended that you see a CPST to see if your booster is correcting seat belt fit. If the lap portion of the seat belt is on his stomach, it will cause irreversible damage in a crash. In addition to this, with different seat belt configurations between cars, kids may need to ride in boosters in some vehicles, but not in others.

The Harmony backless booster ($13.50) may fit older wider husky kids better. The Diono Monterey highback booster may also fit older kids better with longer legs. The Monterey goes up to 120 lbs!

I forgot to mention that all kids need to ride in the back seat until they are 13 years old. No matter how tall or how heavy your child is, your child will not be able to stand the force of an airbag until age 13. This is because your child's bones don't stop developing until they are 13! If a child under age 13 sits in the front seat, their bones would be literally crushed by the airbag. Like seat belts, airbags were not designd for children.

There is absolutely no excuse to let a child ride in the front seat, especially if there is an available back seat with a 3 point seat belt (lap AND shoulder belt). If a child does have to ride in the front seat, then choose the oldest child and install their car seat/booster seat with the vehicle seat as far back as possible (to prevent your child from hitting the airbag).

Source(s): http://www.boosttil8.org/ Above link: This video is from the state of Utah about Booster seats, however this video does sum up why a booster seat is needed. It is about a child named kyle; 3 days after his 8th birthday, he was in a vehicle crash and he did not fit the adult seat belt; he is now paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life because he didn't use a booster seat in the car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULJ8Vx79Vv4 Above link: Video about the American Academy of pediatric recommendations for child passenger safety; this is best practice. Boosters are talked about at 4:05, however I recommend that you watch the entire video (if you have other kids) http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/ Above link: This article is a nice article about the 5 step test and how to conduct it; it has pictures of kids- so if you are a visual learner this will help you understand why a booster seat is needed
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.