I lost a bet and i am so confused! me and my friends had a bet about water flow and i think i was proven wrong?

So we were at chilis and we ordered these margaritas that come with a beer flipped into them where the tip of the beer is at the bottom of the glass. we kept drinking and the beer was not instantly coming down... so one of my friends lifted the beer claiming that the ONLY way this beer will come down is if the liquid in the glass try to go below the level of the beer's rim.... Now i said that i think at a certain point where the liquid level in the glass reaches a certain diameter ( being it looks like an upside cone) the beer starts poring out without the rim of the bottle being above the water level.

so how do the physics behind this work, we tried it at home with a bottle and a cylindrical glass and obviously it didn't work ...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • John B
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In short, the beer won't flow out of the bottle unless there is a way for air to get into the bottle to replace the beer.

You can do the same thing with a bowl and a glass. Fill the bowl with water, submerge the glass and lift it upside-down out of the water. The water will remain in the glass until the rim of the glass reaches the surface of the water. Then air will flow in and water will flow out.

• Zardoz
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

A flat beer is being pushed out of the bottle by the weight of a 20 cm column of beer behind it against the weight of an atmospheric column 30 km (99%) high. The shape of the glass is irrelevant.

• 9 years ago

did you see the bottle upside down in a little basin for thirsty chicken in the back yard?it`s the same,but there is water up and down,so,in your bet it was beer and margarita,2 different density liquids,then the beer starts to come out,but you can`t estimate how much and when,it depends on too many things...

with the water bottle upside down it`s the same,some water will come out and refill the basin,once the one down is drunken...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.