Should I accept the part?

I'm a member of a close knit theater company for teens. Recently I auditioned for Fame, which in case you didn't know is about a bunch of hip teens at a preforming art school in the 80s. The director wants to give me a part, but it's a teacher role. Show after show I get matronly role with zero memorable lines or funny scenes. I'm just there. I'm the Horatio in Hamlet or the mom or hat check girl or women shopper number 5 or the mom again. Someimes I feel more like a peice of the set than an actress. There's another theater nearby doing a favorite show of mine, which I won't have the time to do if I accept my part in Fame, but I've never done a show with them and there's no garenteed I will even get a part. If I don't accept my part in Fame, I won't get to be with my friends and get to know the director better. If I do accept my part, I will have to play matronly women again and watch my friends sing and dance their hearts as "students" while I hold an english book in hand in the background. Should I play teacher, or just not do the show? Help! :(

Favorite Answer

Take the Part! Start from the bottom, shine as your part and they'll realize they're wasting your talent. The high school I'm at I'd a performing arts school and I do drama. We are doing wizard of oz at my after school class and I'm a tree! I'll be the best tree and keep going higher and that's what you should do too! Be the best and become a star!

Stick with the role, remember "there are no small parts" the role is as good and memorable as you make it. On another note it gives you a reputation as a reliable actor, and in the future that company will remember you, netting you more opportunities with them. In the world of acting you have to learn to accept what you can get, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, if you have a job you take it, even if you have an opportunity for a bigger role somewhere else because all it is is a possibility, stick with the sure thing.

I remember watching Morgan Freeman's biography on TV recently. He's an amazing actor (The Shawshank Redemption; Million Dollar Baby; Driving Miss Daisy, etc.), who was in and out of theatre in the late 60's, early 70's. He got a long-running gig on "The Electric Company," in the early 70's--a kids' education TV show, which was a little more mature than "Sesame Street." He took any role that gave him exposure, and was doing what he was trained to do--act. No doubt, playing "Vincent the Vegetable Vampire" on that show was not his dream job! If you don't understand this about acting, maybe you shouldn't consider going into the biz.