how to Catholics rationalize the past of the catholic church and all the innocent people who were tortured to?

death? If it was me I couldn't be part of an organization like that. They put the church of satan to shame with all the evil they have done. The church of satan doesn't go around killing people at all, yet alone in the horrible sadistic ways the Popes had done.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago

I don't rationalize anything. I simply understand the difference between the dangers of a false gospel as opposed to the actions of sinful men. I'm not discounting history in any way. If we decided our membership in a particular organization based only on its historical actions, we may find ourselves in a confused state. At first, we would have to reject all organizations, governments, societies, etc. because each has committed some type of crime at one time. Conversely, each of those same entities has a history of good deeds and accomplishments. So, do we stay or leave?

America has a history of civil war and racial discrimination. Should we stop being Americans? The U.S. also has a history of granting freedom to millions of immigrants and protecting peoples rights to religion, speech, and education. Should we remain Americans?

Nazi Germany may be able to make a superficial claim to those same types of accomplishments, i.e., technology, education, etc. Should we all become Nazis?

Obviously the answer is no. We abhor WWII Germany because its core beliefs and values caused racism and genocide. We remain American because, despite our country's past sins, we believe in freedom and liberty. I remain Catholic because the sins of its past were caused by men, yet other true and faithful men preserved the Gospel of Jesus Christ, which teaches love, forgiveness, and eternal life.

The Church of satan is no different than Nazi Germany. Why would any loving person want to be part of that?

God bless.

Source(s): I am Catholic.
  • 9 years ago

There are apologetics, which explain the entire situation and not the end result, going into detail as to how certain events and the political and social climate surrounding the events helped manifest the things of which you speak.

I do not know enough about the church of satan to say what they are responsible for. To me, this was an underground cult that came and went and was not established until this past century....not something that grew up along with the church.

Generalizing about which Popes is never a good policy. I am sure you would not like to be generalized because of your station in life. There were many good popes and a few saintly ones....as well, there were mediocre ones, and on occasion, a bad one.

• 9 years ago

Consider this a theocracy controlled government like let's say back in early Europe when the Catholic Church held authority over the State. It was considered as a State crime to be a heretic, just like in our modern days under Muslim theocracy controlled governments which enforce sharia law. Of course such crimes against a theocracy controlled government would result in punishment which would include the death penalty. However the Holy Roman Empire had an Emperor who was the head of the State, but his position was under that of the Catholic Church in which the Pope being the head of the Church. So you could say during the Inquisitions those whom the Catholic Church deemed as heretics were considered by the State as criminals in which they were tried on charges of heresy and convicted and punished by death penalty. Even Martin Luther was considered a criminal by the State of the Holy Roman Empire. What's wrong with that?

The Crusades during the Middle Ages was war. There need be no justification because the Catholic Church was acting upon the defense of Christianity against Pagan kingdoms, Muslim kingdoms, and even in cases of civil war against Emperors and AntiPopes. There was no Protestants fighting in these wars they didn't even exist. After the Great Schism which was the result of the fall of Constentinople the Byzantine Empire (Eastern Orthodox Church) attacked Western Europe so the Pope defended Western Europe. The irony the only reason why the Western Church got involved in Jerusalem was at the request of the Eastern Church (Eastern Orthodox Church).

• 9 years ago

We don't rationalize the past. We make sure that it will never be repeated.

And if you are a member of a Protestant church, how do *you* rationalize the murder of Catholics at the hands of Protestant monarchs and clergy? Or do you simply not know your history?

If you did, you would know that Protestants have no room to condemn anyone else.

Source(s): Catholic convert
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

And what, pray tell, has the church itself done?

The Crusade? Ok, maybe (ONLY maybe) something there, but no one ever seems to mention how cruel the Muslims were in taking over those lands to begin with. It also is often overlooked that for 400 years PRIOR to any Crusade, Islam was the belligerent party (or in child's words, they started it).

Spanish Inquisition? That actually had nothing to do with the church itself: that was King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella.

Your own hatred and lack of knowledge is not surprising.

Source(s): Russian Orthodox
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

We justify it like anyone else who is innocent. I am not and cannot be held responsible for other people's actions or inactions.

But I sincerely believe that the media is very much biased and likes to exaggerate truths (known as scandals) as to what really happened and the reasons behind it all.

Hypothetically if what you say really did happen and the media is completely honest in its judgement and detail, I would still remain with the Church due to the fact that I'm not worshipping the clergy and it's dealings but rather God, through the truths of the Catholic faith.

Edit: God deserves to be worshipped the way he wants to be worshipped

• 9 years ago

Why do you blame the whole Catholic Church for the actions of a few? The Catholic Church did not do anything. It is the actions of sinful people who did. Thats like blaming all of the 38,000 denominations and non denominations of Protestant Christians for the Salem Witch Trials.

Catholic Christian †

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

many of your so called victims actually wanted to be tried by the church rather than the governments of the day . it was only 50 plus years ago they outlawed hanging in england, australia and new zealand .

in the 1800s, the governments hanged children for stealing a loaf of bread

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

As a bishop once said "there are less than 100 people who truly hate the Church, and millions who hate what they perceive the Church to be"

that being said, the past is the past and im sure groups of satanists have killed people before. no offense. just using logic, theres millions of satanists, theres bound to be some whove killed others together for religious reasons

• Paula
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Catholics don't talk about those things.

The Spanish who 'discovered' central and south America and stole gold and murdered anyone who tried to stop them.

It is convenient to know that the pope is infallible. Thus incapable of making any error.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.