Is it odd for a black person to consider themselves American first, black second?

My wife does, She considers herself an American who happens to be black. Just about all her family and friends consider themselves black who happen to be American. Do you think there is any difference when people think like my wife?

Favorite Answer

Not at all, many of us do not like being hyphenated Americans, we believe that nationality describes us more than either skin color or ethnicity ever could. For example I am called Filipino-American, but I prefer the term American-Filipino, or just an American with tan skin.

• V¿

no not really, i think it has to do with wanting to know your roots, most come from africa but some do come from other countries the when you look at what the whites use to call the blacks over the century it is easy to understand how they can fall into thinking that way, back in the slave day it was ****** ( please excuse me for using that term but to be real out it i must) than in the later on it was changed to *****, than to black and then to african american, there may have been another term use but if there was i don't know it, so those that think of the fact that there black first and american second may just be remembering what there thought as they come up, or what they have learn to think that there african american, but your wife it right she is american first and she just happens to be black the only true americans here are the native ones, us white people when we landed on Plymouth rock we did not have visa, nor did we discover this land it was already here and had people living on it,

• toby

I'm an American first, white second. I think your wife makes perfect sense.

Had I been born in Canada, I would consider myself Canadian first and white second.

I would feel the same no matter what country I was born in.

Er no

If your born and bred in America

Your American

Race and nationality are 2 different things...

• J

No. She is an American. She sounds like a smart lady.

your "wife" sounds like she's proud of her country which is good. but before black people ring the liberty bell they should look back at america's history. we should be patriotic in a different way.

How is it odd? She's American, that's her nationality.

hmm in my case i dont care what you call me ,)

No, it's not odd.