I am an abused wife by my husband who is currently serving in the military. I need help.?

I am posting this question for a friend who needs help. Here is what she wrote....

I am an abused wife by my husband who is currently serving in the Navy. I am finally planning to do something about it and planning to get a divorce. Currently, I live in the state of Florida and my husband has been transferred for duties in Korea. I will be moving there myself with my kids in two months, but am having second thoughts about it. I am contemplating not going.

I want to know if i decide not to go to Korea and just decide to break things off with him over the phone, would I get in trouble for keeping kids far from him.

Which method would be the best method to leave this relationship (drama free) perhaps without a lawyer just an agreement between me and my husband.

Can he obligate me to take the kids there to Korea where he is currently stationed??

Lastly, can he take the kids away from me??

I've been physically abused by my husband for the past 8 years. I feel ready and decisive to finally take action in leaving him. I just need some advice and suggestions from anyone who is experienced or is aware of military regulations.

5 Answers

  • 9 years ago

    Your friend needs to talk to a divorce lawyer. Because there are children involved she can't just break off the marriage without assistance from the courts. I doubt very much if she will be ordered to go to Korea or send the children to a foreign country just because dad is stationed there.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Go to the base legal office and speak to the JAG. There are lawyers there you can talk to and it won't cost you anything. Before you do that, you might want to talk to your OMBUDSMAN. The Chaplains office can help too. None of this will cost you anything. For my personal opinion, I would not go to Korea. I am actually kind of surprised they let dependants go there to begin with.

    Source(s): 20 years in the Navy
  • You will need to talk to the Chaplain about this. Of course, he or she will try to get you to go to counseling first, but be firm that you are done. Ask him or her all of the questions that you asked here and you will get a more definitive answer.

  • 9 years ago

    Talk to the chaplain for advise.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C Ross
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    Report him to the police or get a baseball bat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.