Ambear asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

Overcoming my fear of elevators.?

When I was younger I would always go on elevators. My grandmother wouldn't be able to take the stairs nor escalator so I didn't really have a choice.

However, last year, while acting at the towns Court house, I rode on an elevator that went up only four floors. It was huge and very heavy, and as soon as I felt the elevator lift off the ground I lost my balance. I had to hold onto the bar for support.

Once I finally stepped off I couldn't hold my balance and it felt as though the ground was shaking.

In all and all I forgot my lines and had a horrible performance due to the anxiety of the elevator ride.

Now I won't dare go on an elevator. My friends mock me, but also tell me it's okay to overcome the fear.

I don't want to go through that again though. What do you all think I should do?

Favorite Answer

i dont ever get in them anymore they can fail

last time here in my city some lady got crushed by one because as she was about to step in

the elevator moved and her foot got stuck between the elevator door slits and it dragged her down and crushed her

Determine what part of the elevator ride scares you. If its fear of falling dont fret all elevators have a brake system that will not fail even if cables break and electrcity goes out. And its pretty normal to feel a little disoriented while riding in them, and the "shaking" floor afterward. If your equilibrium is that bad you may have vertigo... read up on that and the elevator braking system.

Sounds like if you and a friend broke an elevator by jumping in it you two should be taking the stairs, regularly, and lots of them. Elevators are designed to sustain weights of up to a ton and if the two of you broke it you must be some pretty LARGE people. BTW, there isn't an actual account of an elevator entrapment in the US lasting anywhere near that length of time. Get real and give the points to me or remove your fictional question.

I think you should try to overcome your fear by spending time riding in elevators when you have free time and nobody is around. This should help you gradually overcome your fear. You should also realize that your not the only person afraid of elevators, and that others have overcome there fears, so it's possible for you to accomplish.