Can I reinstall Windows 7 after I installed Windows 8?

I have Windows 8 Consumer preview, and its kind of slow, so I want to go back to Windows 7, I have a laptop, and its on the partition, because I reinstalled Windows 8, but can I find Windows 7 buried in my system?

Favorite Answer

Only way is to reformat drive and reinstall Windows 7. Sorry.

So you're another user who thought wiping out Windows 7 and testing Windows 8 was a good idea. I guess you didn't make a system backup of your hard drive before you jumped right in with the beta version of Win 8.

Well yes, you can wipe out your hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 provided that you still have a copy of the product key written on the OEM sticker at the back of the computer. If not, you will need to buy the Windows 7 recovery disc from the computer manufacturer. They usually charge $25-40.

Either way, before anything else, back up all your important data. You will also need to reinstall all drivers and applications after going back to Windows 7. I hope you still have the product keys and the installers for the programs you purchased.

By the way, you didn't mention what version and edition of Windows 7 was on your laptop. Perhaps I can give you the link to get an original installer to restore your computer. Send me an email if you want the details but make sure you have the product key. You will need it to activate the OS.

The early bird ends up reformatting :P

jk.

What did you think of the consumer preview? I'm curous about it, I'll have to check the blogs haha.

your old files should be in a folder called windows.old, so back those files up and wipe your hard drive then install windows 7 fresh