Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 9 years ago

How can I get the fastest internet connection?

I am looking into getting internet set up at my house, but I want it to be fast. I know next to nothing about the internet, so I'm kinda lost at where to start. Do I need both a modem and a router? If so what are the best ones? Is a good internet connection a combination of provider, modem and router or what? Sorry I am kinda lost here....any help is greatly appreciated!

Favorite Answer

Roadrunner and verizon fios seem to be the two most popular options and there's a lot of difference in opinion about which is faster. These companies will provide you with a modem. However, you would have to buy your own router if you want to connect more than one device to the internet.

If you're going to use wireless devices with this connection, then you will need a wifi router (as opposed to a regular ethernet router). With regards to speed, there are two things to consider. The network traffic between your home devices will generally operate at either mbps (10/100) or gbps (10/100/1000). However, using gbps will not make your internet connection faster. The other thing to consider is the wifi speed. For that, you have four options a/b/g/n (check wikipedia for in depth articles). At the time of this writing, there's a new standard coming out called ac. Wireless n is the fastest. However, not too many mobile devices support that standard at this point but some wifi routers can broadcast all four signals at the same time.

The best consumer-grade wifi router as of today, is the Cisco EA4500 in my opinion.

• Ash

It will all depend on what ISP's in your area have to offer. Most cable companies offer a modem and you need to get a wireless router, but AT&T's U-verse program includes a "gateway" which acts as a modem and router.

As for the speed of the router, it will all depend on the types of devices that you will be connecting to it. For example, if your devices all use Wireless-G radios/adapters, getting a Wireless-N router will be a bit overkill as your devices won't be able to take full advantage of the router's speed.

I'm sorry that I can't be more specific but there are a lot of variables that go into the speed and performance of networks, including the Internet.