Anonymous

I have a quarter sized abscess in the crack on my posterior. Money is tight. What can I do?

It's become a real pain in the...

Been there for a week at least. Painful. I'm not kidding.

• KIM

Unlike other infections, antibiotics alone will not typically cure a skin abscess. In general, abscesses must open and drain to improve. Although sometimes an abscess will open and drain spontaneously, it often needs to be lanced (incision and drainage) by a health-care provider. Certain abscesses may require drainage in an operating room.

Abscesses can affect the brain, kidneys, liver (hepatic abscess), lungs, breast, neck, teeth (dental abscess), and tonsils (peritonsillar abscess).

You should see a doctor. This could get serious without proper treatment and end in a severe gaping hole requiring stitches and ending with skin grafts and scarring.

It can get much much worse. If left untreated, it could end up costing you much more than if you treat it now.

Failure to follow this answer will result in continued pain, damage to your skin requiring surgery, and other health related problems.