Why are cartoons so based on straight relationships?

Like every cartoon or movie or any tv I see theres nothing showing homosexual relationships 0_o , they make it seem unnatural if ya ask me :x

All great answers :P I think though that parents should be more accepting on a subjects like these mainly because when I was little I knew I was gay and when ever I saw a relationship in a lot of shows I felt like it was wrong to have those feelings :P

Favorite Answer

Because children are the primary audience for cartoons. Children should not have to realize that there are homosexuals and heterosexuals; that distinction should not be made to them until later.

By the way, homosexual relations are by definition unnatural. I'm not here to bash gays or promote some anti-gay agenda, but it is absolutely true that homosexual relations go against the natural order of the world. Men were designed to be with women, and vice versa. It's quite obvious that this is the case. If you think otherwise, take a basic anatomy class.

With that said, homosexuality is a choice and should not be judged, just like any other lifestyle choice. All I'm saying is that since the overwhelming majority of relationships are heterosexual, and having a mother and a father is what children accept as normal, they shouldn't be exposed to sexuality in either form. Let them be kids for a while.

Well technically, cartoons are directed to children, and I am sure companies whom work on these shows don't want to risk getting charged or negative views if they were to slip in a homosexual couple or character. It's better to be on the safe side, specially when most of the world sees homosexuality as if it is nonexistent unless they have to face a situation where it is somewhat personal or something.

There are homosexual couples in other cartoons, just that it tends to be made for an older crowd or not seen or said to be main-stream or is said to come off as an overly brotherly or overly sisterly bond between these friends, whomever they are.I guess people like to have their kids remain ignorant of the world,even with cartoons. Oh and people tend to not take cartoon characters seriously either, like to think cartoons are for kids, so to have it suddenly give some said real-life situations, it would be so weird to them, so "non-cartoon-like".

Source(s): Spongebob, Patrick and Spongebob, they raised a clam together, sponge bob dressed in a dress, had curls on and Patrick was wearing a suite and heading off to work. I find that to be at least fairly close to a homosexual couple, since both are male characters, yet parents don't see that or use an excuse to say they are just weird creatures. Also, anime, Japanese cartoons, have plenty of same-sex couple centered shows, just that it isn't seen as main-streamed and anime seems to be looked down upon, once again said to be only for young kids, at least to people whom are ignorant of the many shows, and conclude their thoughts only based upon the shows kids watched, say Pokemon. :D (grew up watching that)

GOOD question! I know that many Christian parents forbid their children from watching Spongebob because of the whole, implied as a JOKE: "Patrick and Spongebob are a Couple" thing. Oh and also that whole issue with Tinky-Winky from Teletubbies, where he is seen carrying a purse and so immediately the show is banned by conservative parents. It seems like this issue is only INCREASING in television for kids. Remember He-Man, Burt and Ernie, and Bugs Bunny? None of those characters would fly on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon's soporific programs today.

By the way, the source I posted is just for your entertainment :)

• reme_1

There surely are gay people in shows now.

You've got nothing to complain about.

When I came out few cities even had a gay center. Mostly it was just unmarked bars.

We now have at least 5 gay tv show hosts, gay characters and or gay couples are main stream series and gay people coming out all the time-- in sports, in politics, etc.

And we have legal gay marriage in half a dozen states. This was unheard of even ten years ago.

Enjoy what we have now and stand up for who you are. Come out and work for equal rights.

Most likely the companies that make the cartoon. They are most likely against homosexuals/same sex marriage and want to make it appear that gays are unnatural and uncommon. And this is easy to do to the young children that watch their shows. There was an Adventure Time episode that eluded to a lesbian relationship and didn't air because many Christians were protesting it and they didn't want to lose their ratings.

It's due to the fact that homosexuality is still questioned by the government, some people are ok while others despise it, so they can't show it (but yet they can show George Lopez, which makes fun of every race there is, BS!)

its the norm. and too many people would protest a cartoon from appearing on tv if there was anything gay about it. and the producers and creators would lose money. so, yeah. no gay cartoons :(

Because 90% of the world is straight. So 90% of their viewers are straight. They want to make their viewers happy.

The world does not revolve around us

I know its horrible.. I know that their are some print cartoons that have some gay relationships, but the relationships are somewhat more sexual than a true relationship.. damn I forgot what they are called..

ok, in lots of cases while u take issues sluggish, u like it to paintings. while u do it too speedy, it continually end early. so ur fortunate she texts u lots and likes u and not want any intercourse wit u yet. and no i dun think of she basically wanna hook up wit u cuz if she does then she might do it the 1st nighttime or the 2d cuz i might for somebody i dun extremely look after. I basically attached wit this one lady and that i didnt like her like that... so yea, if u take issues sluggish it extremely is going to recommend something ya understand?