Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Can someone please give me a summary of what happened at The battle of Midway?

I'm very much into ww2 and I would just like to know stuff about the air support/ combat, who gained air superiority, why they fought, why is it called midway

Favorite Answer

The US defeated the Japanese in that battle.

For a detailed account, read the sequel to the Gordon Prange book, "At Dawn We Slept," titled "Victory at Midway."

The Japanese plan was to lure the United States' aircraft carriers into a trap. The Japanese also intended to occupy Midway Atoll as part of an overall plan to extend their defensive perimeter in response to the Doolittle Raid. This operation was also considered preparatory for further attacks against Fiji and Samoa.

The Japanese plan was flawed because American codebreakers were able to determine the date and location of the attack, enabling the forewarned U.S. Navy to set up an ambush of its own.

After the Japanese were defeated at Midway, the US was very near to having air superiority in the Pacific, as well as naval superiority.