Tim asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 8 years ago

Is the ruger super redhawk alaskan 454 casull accurate?

• Jack
    Favorite Answer

Short barrels and big calibers don't make for the most accurate weapons. As with all snub nose pistols, accuracy is not what the Alaskan was made for. It was designed to get your butt out of a really big jam. That it will do very well.

Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull

• Nicole

That is what the .454 Casull Alaskan was made for. And the ..480 Ruger is just more of a good thing.

• I agree, can you handle it? Major recoil from this revolver! Intended for close range, last resort, self defense against something BIG! Namely Grizzlies or Alaskan brown bears. Saw an episode of Guns N' Ammo TV where an experienced hunter/shooter fired the 454 Cassul. He under estimated and was barely able to hold onto the thing after it went off.

Is it accurate? I don't know, but if you can hit a charging Grizzly at 5 yards and closing with it, it is accurate enough.

With a barrel length under 3 inches you cant expect super accuracy. I had one and traded it off because I didn’t like the fierce muzzle jump, massive muzzle flash and noise with bear loads. Look at the pictures of the guy firing one on this review of the gun;

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm

See how it wants to snap up on the shooter? I had the same problem with it unless I used low power rounds. You will note in that review he was able to get 2 inch groups at 25 yards. Now that’s not bad for such a short barreled revolver. However you have to consider hes an experienced handgun marksman. In the hands of a novice you would be lucky to get 6 inch groups at 25 yards. I have lots of experience with revolvers and Im pretty accurate with them. But I could not get 2 inch groups at 25 yards with stout loads in the Alaskan. I can with my .44 mag super Redhawk that has a longer barrel and I can with my friends Super Redhawk in .454 that has a 6 inch barrel.

So there ya go the best I can do to explain its accuracy. It is a well made revolver though and very dependable. But if you get one be prepared for a huge muzzle flash when you fire it. That short barrel just doesn’t burn the powder as well as a longer barrel. In low light that flash can temporarily blind you. And be darn sure to wear hearing protection because its very loud with full house loads.

• august

With almost any modern gun in existence, the question is not whether the gun is accurate, but whether the shooter is accurate.

Modern guns are almost always significantly more accurate than the person holding them.

• Jeff

Accurate enough, the real question is can the shooter handle it ? And shoot it accurately ?

Can you shoot accurately? and can you handle that beast? try shooting the 45colt first then work your way up to the 454C.

A gun is only as accurate as it's shooter is consistent.

• Gre R

It doesn't need to be. If it even gets close to the target it'll scare it to death.