How to ask my dad to move out and get his own place?

I've been living with my dad for about 2 months and a bit, and I'm not liking it very much because he still lives with his parents - he's 42 years old. His parents are so controlling, and I don't feel like I have a say in anything. And his parents are also mean, his mother is just mean without any reason, and his father is just controlling and has to have everything his way, which leads to him shouting and getting angry. And to be honest, I miss my mum. I want to go live with her. But I think that my dad would get pissed if I went to go live with my mum again. I was him to get his own place so that I can live near her, because I can't deal not seeing her all the time. But I don't know how to bring it up. To be honest, I think that it's time for him to move out anyway. At his age, he should be living on his own, trying to get a girlfriend and settle down. I don't know, maybe that's just me, but I seriously think he should have contemplated moving out by now. Any suggestions?

• Crone
    Favorite Answer

Don't waste your time trying to change your dad's attitudes. He's 'old enough and ugly enough' to make his own decisions.

In this situation, SOMEONE'S gonna "get pissed". The important questions are 'who?' and 'why?'

Unless there's a very good reason not to, I'd like you to investigate living with your mother.

I think that generally, around that age we really should be living our own lives. I think this can be brought up by simple conversation. Maybe next time he's having a bit of tension between him and his parents, subtlety ask him " Wouldn't it be better if ~we~ lived on our own?" There's a few ways to tell him really.

Go live with your mother, so what if they get pissed, they sound horrible anyway, just go.

SOMETIMES I LIE ON THE FLOOR AND PRETEND IM A CARROT

Source(s): mental retardation