ajst22
ajst22 asked in SportsGolf · 9 years ago

Why do so many golfers buy a new driver each year?

I don't do this, but I know a lot of golfers buy a brand new driver each year. I personally think this is a waste since driver technology hasn't/can't really change; the only things that do change are adjustability which shouldn't be a huge incentive if you get fit for a club in the first place. Is it just sort of a "latest and greatest thing" type of thing? I bought a brand new Cobra S3 last year but plan to use it for a while considering I spent $300 on it. For those who do this, I just want some opinions/input. Thanks!

And also (if you want), why just the driver and not the fairways, irons, wedges, or putter?

Sorry, the additional details was stupid

Favorite Answer

Some of these answers have merit and some don't. I started playing golf a year ago and have already changed my driver once. As I've played more and got better my swing has improved and got faster. I was playing a draw bias ping k15 with a regular flex shaft. Now I play with a Cobra ZL set up to neutral and it's on a stiff flex. Probably keep it for a few years as its more of what I need right now.

People's skills change all the time and so do their requirements. We speed up whilst we're younger and slow down when we get older. Beginners get better and pros get worse. Although I will concede changing every year might be excessive.

Just because people are retarded and feel better by buying the latest and greatest driver!

It may not always work out in their favor though since most people only play a driver on 10-12 shots in a round. But it is the biggest and longest club so we gotta get a new one every year. Is it right though? Probably not... Replacing any of the other clubs woulld make sense though! Like putter or wedges, but there very little "oooh factor" in buying a new putter... I have never bought a new driver, but I have picked up quite a few used ones off ebay though! Why spend $300 on a new one when you can get a 2 or 3 year old used one for a fraction of the price? It will still play well, considering who is hitting it...

Some people really buy the advertising. They have to get the latest and the greatest. If you can afford to, why not do it? I don't have the money to buy a new driver every year. I typically get one every 2-3 years. I guess it also depends on how often you play. I don't play enough to justify getting one every year. I had a guy I know that is teaching professional say that you should change drivers yearly, but with irons you don't need to do so. I've had 4 iron sets in 11 years. One I played for 7 years. Two I played for one year and my current set is going in its 2nd year of play. One set I played for It doesn't make sense to do it with a putter. Just change the grip. I've used the same putter since '04. I tried this Ping putter in the store last year and really liked it, but it was 270 bucks. That won't see my bag. I like the one I have now so as long as I am making putts, it will stay in the bag. Basically it boils down to how your funds are.

• I bought my Titleist 983k the first year they came out and I haven't bought a driver since. I don't really need a new driver because I believe the 983k to be the best driver Titleist has ever made.. This includes the new model... which my brother has.

Some people just enjoy trying new equipment. Some people buy new equipment because they believe it'll fix their game. Some people are just club whores..

The newest club in my bag is a putter that I bought this year.. It replaced a putter that I've use for 10+ years.

People think they can hit further whenever there is a new driver out. They are mistaken though. Under USGA conforming standard, drivers clubfaces are supposed to have no more than certain quantity of spring effect at impact. If your club does not pass the test, then you cannot use it at tournaments. This is a measure to prevent players from taking advantage of the limited distance given by golf courses while their drives distance increase incessantly. So technically, club technology is not improving much regarding distance. But the advertisement about new drivers by every golf company is the same. 'Carry the ball further'. And marketing works every year because like you said, people watch tv and they buy into it.

It's funny, I used to own Callaway ERC Titanium ll(an illegal driver by USGA rule) and I could feel the club felt awesome but distance was not at all significant.

golfers are a breed of people who think the latest driver with the latest technology will give him /her that extra distance and if he can buy that he will do so.Beside the bragging rights with the new driver also comes with it.the same with putter and the rest of the set.It will reach a point when they realise its the Indian and not the arrow then they will stop doing that.They become a mature golfer and finally grown up.

• TONEY

Golfers that change drivers yearly are looking for that magic wand, that will fix all their problems with out having to devote any time to practice. They really believe a club will fix there swing.

recognition has no longer something to do with regardless of if a driving force is stable or no longer. I extremely have an R11. no longer because of the fact the excursion execs use it, and not because of the fact it grew to become into on sale - yet because of the fact it extremely is the suited element for MY interest. For the final couple of years i performed the Taylormade excursion Burner. the unique one. no longer something beat it -till the R11. The R11's white head provides on the promise that it extremely is much less complicated to line up. The adjustable good factors are suitable for me and it extremely is extremely extra something to my tee interest. Is it for each guy or woman? probable no longer, in spite of the undeniable fact that it extremely is extremely for me. i might recommend hitting one at a golfing save in the event that they have demos.

My father and I love golfing, we live about 6 miles away from a course. So we go golfing a lot we typically get a new driver because our old drivers get a lot of wear on them. We still have them but it is nice to be able to use a brand new one too.

lalonabc: Let's enjoy any live sporting events free over the world. www.sporting-live.com