Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Debt Collectors sending legal threats, after I filed a dispute with the ombudsman?

Firstly, I'll note, this is in relation to Australian Law.

If you are not familiar with Australian law, don't bother giving advice here...

A debt collection agency contacted me about 3 weeks ago, claiming that I owe a phone company (phone company I was with over 3 years ago), around $280.

I called them up, and said I do not believe this debt to be correct.

They advised that they cannot do anything about it from their end, and to contact the phone company about it.

I proceeded to contact the phone company about it, and the story they gave me, did not add up at all, and I argued with them that this was incorrect, and that they must have made an error.

They insisted that their records are 100% legitimate and real.

I insisted that they are not, and I can prove they are not, because I have disputed their "100% legitimate" records before, and won.

They are frauds (vodaphone).

They offered a discount on my "alleged" owed amount, after I said I would contact the ombudsman about it, but I refused, and insisted that I will not pay a cent, until I have the telecommunications Ombudsman investigate the matter thoroughly.

I filed a claim with the telecommunications Ombudsman, and received a case referral number.

Today, I received a letter, apparently from the debt collector's legal reps, saying that if I do not pay within 10 days, that legal proceedings may take place, and that I would be paying for the costs of those legal proceedings...

I'm not a law expert, but I know enough, to know that it is against the guidelines set out by our government, to make threats, or even proceed with a debt claim, while the debt is in dispute.

Am I not right?

Does anyone know of any legal references I could use, when I contact these people back?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

It is harassment in the U.S. for Debt Collectors to repeatedly send financial threats to someones job, home, etc. Harassment is illegal in the U.S.

contact kyour local debt agency.

See the Australian flag below? Click on it and submit this question there.